VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Not as far a s I know. I do mine and pay no heed to what VS is doing...and it has never seemed to interfere.

2. alphonso

alphonso Registered Member

just installed WSA 8.0.8.76 running with VS 2.31n at the moment. VS reported blocking wrupdateXXXXXXX.exe in folder c:\users..\appdata\local\temp
    so I added that to custom allowed folders. since then it has been quiet, however, not sure this was the right way to solve this block. I am liking the webroot av, small and fast and looking forward to moving up to VS 2.50.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yeah, I hate when the BSOD's point to ntoskrnl.exe. I usually have to send a full crash dump when that occurs. I would say the BSOD was caused by you attempting to use HMPA, and MBAE together. They are both great products so I can see why it's a hard choice to make.

I'm currently using MBAE because I have not been experiencing any problems with it except for the few I reported during the last beta period. HMPA is very aggressive, and still has lots of false positives in my experience. I'm going to give HMPA a few more months to work out the bugs, and to find the right balance between security & not being overly aggressive. I think it always comes down to what works good with the security software you are not willing to give up, and covers security areas that your current software does not fully cover.

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks...but, a 4GB download would be too much to handle...My broadband is too slow, and it would take some hours to download a file that size. I don't think it is bad sticks of RAM, anyhow despite what Dan says. More like likely, software conflict. I have three other snapshots, and I they don't suffer the BSOD's, at least not too often.

5. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

My thoughts exactly :thumb: I'm in mini recovery mode running only vs 2.50 for the moment but my overall history with mbae has been very stable going back to zerovul days, and I plan to reinstall it along side vs in the next few days. Dan could not offer much from the minidumps I sent him. I think bsods were a fluke related to hmpa3 or the previous ae combo cocktail. xp is so stable currently it's almost boring, but that's ok ;)

6. simmersK00L

Dan half heartedly suggested same to me when there was no obvious bsod culprit seen from my 2 minidumps. I don't think so... :doubt: He did assure me could not have been vs, but then I never did think it was vs. quidquid id est, it's either "fixed" or buried so deep, the xp is normal_stable++ again.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I just installed VS 2.50 and guessing there would be updates for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package I ran Windows Update. VS balloon showed saying setup.exe had been blocked, so I allow it - Windows Update failed. Try Again, VS balloon saying setup.exe had been blocked, so I allow it - Windows Update failed again. Since I allowed the program [from within Windows Update] why didn't VS allow it? Yes, put VS in training mode I was able to install the update.

Dan, you have said in this thread you were sick of UAC prompts and having to approve things, but that VS is better. Can you tell me how exactly having to allow programs in VS [twice!] and the installation still fails, is better?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've had to allow a command prompt when I've connected some USB flash drives. I also had to allow some command prompt when trying to eject some USB flash drives.

I'm starting to remember why I stopped using VS.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Is VS an effective computer lock? Absolutely! There is no question that malware would have a much harder time running on a system with VS installed, except...

Is VS user friendly? No, not really. I receive way more prompts from VS than I ever do from UAC, or my AV. How do I [or a newbie] know what to, or what not to allow?

Is VS suitable for newbies? No, not really. They either will allow just about anything blocked by VS, or like me, struggle to install or run some things even when you've told VS to allow them.

Sure, I forget to disable VS when trying to install some stuff but when I allow the program to run and VS still blocks it, it becomes a PITA. Auto-update of Adobe Flash Player ActiveX being another example of allowing the installation but it still failed.

I'm sorry Dan. Yes, this program works exactly as designed but it is too much work for me. I might as well run a HIPS + firewall.

Edit: Dan, the last thing I'm going to say about VS is that your website says this, "Once VoodooShield is trained, you never have to worry about annoying antivirus pop ups and scans again.", well I don't get annoying pop ups from Norton but I do get annoying pop ups and balloon messages from VS.

All the best,
    Dave

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  9. Cutting_Edgetech

I receive less prompts from VS than I do with UAC. I also have applications crash, and fail to run after allowing them by the VS prompt though. Enabling automatically allow by parent feature helped eliminate some of the application crashes, and launch failures but not all of them. It just happened yesterday with java. Java attempted to update so VS prompted me. I clicked allow and jp2launcher.exe crashed immediately. I did not have a chance to disable VS protection. The java update failed, and continued to fail even after disabling VS. I uninstalled java, and installed it again. I think the problem is in the cpn, or with the multithreading.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

These type of tools are not really meant for newbies, but I do have to say that the simpler the better. I haven't tried VS yet, but from what I've read, a tool like EXE Radar seems a bit simpler to operate. VS might be a bit too aggressive at the moment, so as a developer you need to find a balance IMO.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

I think VS is very simple to use. It is no less user friendly than ERP. I would even venture to say that VS is more user friendly than ERP. VS is extremely simple to use in comparison to any similar product. I have used both enough to give an honest opinion. The problem is definitely not with complexity of the application. The problem is there is a bug that causes applications to crash, fail to run, etc. after the user allows them by the VS prompt. I really think all effort should be focused on fixing this bug.

12. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe EXE radar can't block DLL files while Voodooshield (at least when I tested it sometime ago) does.
    So this might be a point in favor of Voodooshield.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm not aware of VS being able to block any .dll files. Could you explain a little about the test you conducted?

14. alphonso

installed latest beta. appears to be running well with my other security and backup apps. the previous issue I mentioned in my earlier post resolved without any help from me. if VS blocks something I am trying to run, it gives me the option to block sandbox or allow. I click allow, and then rerun the app, and it gets allowed from that point on, I tried that with exewatch.exe. I am liking my new security software setup.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

The thing I like about VS the most is it does not allow web applications to spawn child processes when Exploit Protection is enabled. Also VS can whitelist the application the user uses most from the Program Files Folders very quickly with it's snapshot technology. The user doesn't have to allow all software from the Program Files Folders then. That's a considerable increase in security.

16. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

It wasn't a test per se. I simply tried it long ago. To see how it functions.

I had UAC at max with Voodooshield, left it for a while. When I returned I noticed Voodooshield had block a dll file. I can't recall the details of the file. Like I already said it was sometime ago. Perhaps it was an error on my part, and I wasn't a dll.

I was actually curious if it happened to anyone else...

Note: I currently don't have Voodooshield installed.

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I just hope the bsod's on my XP system, remain infrequent. ;)

18. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I think that VS is very user friendly and designed well with regards to usability. I'm guessing those recent complaints are more to do with recent development bugs, as C_E stated.

My hope is that VS implements KMD soon though as that will be quite beneficial.

19. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Having a problem getting my "Whitelist" from my computer to my VS online account. I even did a uninstall and reinstall of VS, deleted computer online. After clean reinstall computer is listed on VS online account but nothing (0) listed on whitelist. There is a white list on VS GUI. How do I get that list to my VS account online?

20. alphonso

just open your settings, edit whitelist online, login to your account., at the top of page, manage whitelist, copy
    this will sync your local and online whitelist. hope that helps.

21. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

That didn't work. Thanks anyway. Maybe @VoodooShield did something to the backside, like forgot to turn something back on while we were working out an internet connection bug?

22. simmersK00L

Yes & No, my experience. I had very rare apparent malware event today with firefox on my office win7, first got an av alert that firefox was using 1 gig of RAM! so I closed firefox and as it was closing I got a voodoo alert that fltdr.exe was stopped, so I said block, and firefox fully shutdown. I search the hdd and not such exe on the win7, and then tried a google for that exe, and did not find anything, so to me that was some malware from somewhere wanting to execute that vs stopped :D (not responsible for my office, we have 3 full-time IT on staff -- but they did ok for me to run vs at the office & I think it saved the day today) and I get very few vs popups on my xp at home, same on office win7, so not sure why Krusty13 is getting too many vs popups.

23. simmersK00L

fwiw, I found nvt_erp to work as expected but more "problematic" re installs than vs. Seems not exactly "fair" to comment on vs if you haven't tried it, o_O although Rashheed187 posts are solid in the various threads I read.

24. simmersK00L

+1 :thumb:

25. simmersK00L

yes, very rare here too. 2 a year is a lot and that's when I try something dumb, otherwise none.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.