Voice to text appliances

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi guys,

Here's a tough one for you.

Do you know of any gadgets that can record your voice and translate that into text. I am talking about small, portable, handheld devices alike the stuff you saw in the 80s B-movies where doctors and detectives record their ideas.

Now, fast forward thirty years, something nifty that works well, has awesome speech recognition, and will output text in some form. Can be Windows or Linux interface or anything. I am aware of Dragon, but that's for Windows, which means a laptop of some kind. I am talking smartphone size or smaller, if possible. I've also looked online and found some, but the reviews are few and mixed.

Any ideas?

Mrk

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Are you looking into all in 1 solution where the device will be able to record and then transcribe the recording into text? From memory there are solutions where you record the sound (as mp3 or some proprietary format) on 1 device then transfer that to another device which then via software transcribes the text.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Either one would work ... :)
    Mrk

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

most android keypad apps have a voice option, which can be convenient for small clear sentences (for texting etc). i prefer swyping though because it makes fewer errors. ymmv depending on how clearly you speak.

they also have several apps with names like 'notepad voice memo' or 'notepad with voice recognition pro.' They are worth a try (I sometimes use the latter), but you have to pause between sentences so it can transcribe it, and of course background noise can mess up the voice recognition.

third, they have various voice command and voice assistant programs (similar to the famous iphone siri). i think those include nuance dragon go! i assume they have dictation options. i did try one of the virtual assistants, but found it to be a resource hog in the end (battery problems), and most of the time I'm either out in public or I have the tv or radio on in the background so there's too much noise for these voice apps to be practical for me.

note: I think all these apps use Android™ Speech Recognition. I assume iPhone and other smart phone systems come with equivalents.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mrk

If you check out the dragon site at Nuance, you will there are some hand held recording devices, that can feed into dragon. They do have to be trained as with anything "dragon"

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.