VMWare?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by vinn, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Was recently introduced to VMWare and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, and it was suggested that I move from windows dual boot to virtual. Using win2kpro and MS V PC2007 requires at least winXP. Will VMWare run on win2kpro and is virtual better than a multi-boot?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi vinn.

Depends on what you intend to do with VMWare. I would say that the main difference is that in VMWare both of your operating systems are active (host and VM) and they share your hardware resources, if for example you have 2 GB of physical RAM, you CANNOT assign everything to VM, but just a part of it. You must leave your host OS some resources (RAM, VRAM, etc.). While in dual boot you normaly use maximum hardware available for your booted OS. If you go to VMWare homesite, you will see that this software is aimed to IT developers and testers, and that is I believe it's main purpose. So dual boot and VMs are a very different thing IMHO. I am no expert, but these are my 2c. Haven't tried VMWare on w2k, so I can't help you on that one. All I can say is, don't try it on Vista, or Vista in VMWare.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi,
    What the problem with Vista in VMware?

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Helo Merry ;)

No problems yet as I haven't tried it. But, I've just installed the latest VMWare in XP pro (6.0.39849) with intention to try Vista in it first (well, that was the initial idea anyway). So, in the list of supported OSs in VMWare there were all the versions of Windows since 3.1, but for Vista it stated: Vista (experimental); Vista x64 (experimental) :doubt: . As VMWare is an app that works with hardware at a very low level I just didn't want to experiment, I wanted Vista to work, so I gave up on that idea an did an old-fashioned dual boot with XP. BTW, that worked flawlesly :thumb: . I still didn't try the other way round also, that is installing VMWare in Vista, and I willl not be tryng it either before having some thorough reading on this combination.
    Now, the reason I suggested to vinn not to try it with Vista, is that vinn is obviously a newcomer to VMs, and I didn't want him/her to have any problems experimenting on possibly unstable grounds.

Cheers.

5. Meriadoc

Hi,
    Ah I see.
    There are some little problems with vista in VMWare I helped with one fix but as you noted 'experimental.'

Merry ?

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Meriadoc. :thumb:

Well, you obviously know more than me on this point, as you developed a fix, so now I take the liberty of returning your question. What are those 'little problems' you talk about? Does Vista work in VMW v6 and how stable is it?

P.S. Sorry for shortening your nick, but I was referring to 'The Lord of the Rings' character, whose name is also Meriadoc, and nick Merry.

My regards.

7. Meriadoc

When vista first came out trying to load it into vmware was a problem for some people - the 'loading files' message and bar would show and reach the end and then you could just sit there for an eternity infront of a blank screen. There were a few thoughts, workaround like starting a vm then booting from CD with vista iso, but all that was needed was a couple of additional lines in the .vmx file to set the max width and height, simple.

Yeah I beta test ver 6 but no haven't tried vista - it'll work though. Here is vista working in Workstation 5, notice VMware tools in the notification area.

Ah, 'The Lord of the Rings' a good book if you can get through it with all those pages, about the size of an encyclopedia - there's afew 'hillocks' around here. :shifty:

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Thank you, Meriadoc.

Useful info. Now I have more confidence to try Vista in vm. See ya...

9. Meriadoc

No probs.
    If you run into jam with vista in VMWare give me shout as I like to know of any new problems and just may have the fix or workaround for others.

Meri-a-doc I had to choose a different nick on this forum and the name also has certain Welsh connections.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Is there a version 6 of VMWare? I have 5.5 and not been offered an update although I didn't read the latest newsletter come to think of it...maybe it is in there.

As for using VMWare in Vista...only on Ultimate.

11. Meriadoc

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  12. Meriadoc

vinn
    yes.
    An alternative, it depends on you and what you are doing. For me its more convenient in what I'm doing. Keep your setup and use VMWare.

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello vinn.

That' a good advice. Use VMWare by all means. Even if you don't find it utterly neccesary on your system. You will at least learn a very interesting software technology and thus expand your mind more. Try it, it's almost like magic! :D

14. Meriadoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.