Vmware workstation , can i transfer a virtual machine on a pc?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mantra, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have an os virtualizzed under vmware workstation ,and it works

can i transfer it to a phisical hardisk and boot like a primary os?

for example virtualize w8 and after transfer to a ssd and boot from it

thanks

2. DedicateNier

DedicateNier Registered Member

I don't think you can do that. You can use vCenter Converter to convert physical machines to virtual machines, but I don't think it's possible to do it the other way around. You can use Unity mode, though. It enables you to display applications from virtual machines in VMware Player on the host system desktop:

http://vmware-player.com/unity-mode/

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Immediate reaction would be to use system backup on the VM (using utility of choice), then restore to the physical machine from the backup.

You'd have the usual potential issues of differences in drivers, partitions etc, and you might trigger licencing if Windows (and you obviously need to manage your licences properly).

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

While it might work, my hunch is that it will be more trouble then just starting from scratch

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Windows will definitely need to be licensed again. Same thing happens when going Physical to Virtual. It would be a safer bet to create the VM how he/she wants it and then backup/recover to the physical disc and then license it.

6. fouriron

fouriron Registered Member

I used Terabyte Image for Windows. I Installed it on my Windows 10 Preview Virtual machine and then I ran it on the VM and made an Image of drive C.
    I then restored that image to a blank SSD using the standalone bootable version of IFW. Win 10 booted fine from the SSD. The only quirk was assigning drive letters to all the partition that I had not let it see while it was running under VM.
    Licensing was not an issue since this was a preview. But A previous poster is correct. If you did this with a VM copy of a licensed W8 or W7 then you would have an unactivated version

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.