VMWare, ShadowSurfer, BartPE and Anonym.OS, difficult questions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have a series of difficult questions. I would appreciate help, answers, clues.

1. Does anyone know of any incompatibilities running ShadowSurfer in Shadow Mode and using VMWare player to run other OSes? Are there any security conflicts in either ShadowSurfer or VMWare player that could stem while surfing the internet due to presence of one or the other?

2. Using BartPE, a user can opt to dial PPPoE to connect to the internet using his existing username and password (too much word use used here...:( ). This applies for WAN, ADSL, cable and similar. However, I do not manage this. I do use DHCP on the comp and do not use always-connected mode on the cable network. Instead, I dial manually using a vpn connection configured by my isp to get the internet. This poses a problem, obviously, when running from a mounted live cd. Does anyone know a circumvent / solution? The thing is, I do manage to dial up, but I do not succeed in establishing a connection with isp.

3. Using Anonym.OS, there are conflicts with VMware. Is anyone familiar with these, and has run into them?

Thanks for the help,
    Mrk

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

AnonymOS is a bootable CD, how can it conflict with VMWare (it shouldn't even "see" VMWare).

3. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You can run it from within VMWare ... I tried. It warns about possible conflicts with virtual machines. Anyone had any bugs / found ways to solve them?
    Mrk

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Oh, ok. Sorry, I don't know. Still, I don't see any reason why you need to run it from VMWare, instead of booting from the live CD, though. :)

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, it doesn't tell the entire story, but I'm posting this from a VMPlayer LiveCD session using Knoppix 4.0 under ShadowMode. Seems to be working fine. Had to shutdown Outpost firewall, but that could in part be related to still ringing out the clean install step down to 3.0 from a less than stellar 3.5 test drive.

Blue

6. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

no working cd burner a good enough reason? :p

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Good to hear Blue.
    Now if you could answer the second one would be splendid.
    Do you use adsl dial up or cable dhcp? I cannot connect to my isp provider using ... well, no reason to repeat the second question. Could you try it? Disable dhcp and build a vpn. Then try the pppoe plugin for Bart and see if it works. In my case, it does not...
    Mrk

8. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I guess it is. :D

9. BlueZannetti

Mrk,

Don't have BartPE up on my machine, so can't help you there. But I did take a quick look at how I did have things configured on my machine, since I was having a connection problem. What type did you have the ethernet connection set to and have you tried adjusting that? I fixed my own issue there (Outpost was blocking transit packets).

Blue

10. BlueZannetti

Actually, I didn't have to do that. Just had to configure the VMPlayer ethernet connection type from bridge to NAT, as I noticed later.

Blue

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    BartPE can boot as stand alone live cd for windows, so practically I do not even see the firewall. When I mount the cd and boot, I have the ability to dial out using a ppoe dialer plugin. When I do this, I get the time-out message...
    Mrk

12. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Sorry Don't know the answer to your question I have a router that does all the dailling ...... ....

But this version of BARTPE is very good http://www.ubcd4win.com/

There is a forum there as well

13. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Starfish, I am using both the naked Bart and UBCD4WIN...
    Mrk

14. BlueZannetti

Mrk,

I'll see if I can get a working UBCD4WIN/BartPE rolling sometime this week and see how it behaves on my system.

Blue

15. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Blue, thanks for the interest.
    I thought of something wicked.
    If I do ipconfig -all I'll get my network card address vs modem.
    When I confiure bart network, I'm asked if I want to assing ip automatically or give one static - I'll try assigning the same parameters as the network card vs modem in standard windows environment. I'll try that today, once on a host machine, once on a nat client with internal ip (192....).
    I hope this will work...
    If and when I figure all, I'll write a nice summary for everyone to use...
    Mrk

P.S. For anyone interested, you can also try Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux (both ~ 50-60Mb), very handy, they have plugins for vm and are also highly configurable and can run from usb (even smaller than bart...). Likewise, both have virtual machines for vm player.

P.S.S. I just built a BartPE usb - it won't boot, even though flash drive is enabled and recognized in bios. Configured with the necessary files from win 2003 server sp1 and ntloader.... Any ideas...?

16. controler

controler Guest

Hello Mrkvonic

You say you are trying to use PPPoe? I do not think dialup uses that. I think that is only a router funtion. I use a VPN client at work and it can either be used
    with dialup or high speed but in my case I have to use a secure ID card either way. I am not sure how your VPN client is set up.

controler

17. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    It's not dial up as dial up!
    Dial up uses ppp.
    But high-speed cable dsl or phone adsl use or can use vpn dialers over pppoe.
    I use one in windows via cables, my brother uses one via phone...
    This is one certainty I have.
    Mrk

18. controler

controler Guest

I think the VPn always tries either to dial the last phone number (dialup)
    or tries to connect to the last used IP address. If your ISP uses a static IP then you shouldn't have much trouble but if Dynamic, You might have to get that and set it each time in the VPN client.

I don't know for sure.

controler

19. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Static ... The problem is more profound.
    I manage to get the internal cable network ip. I can even ping the isp servers... But I cannot establish a connection ... weird ...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.