VMware Server and Workstation Multiple Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Secunia

Edited to add another link. VMware Server Multiple Vulnerabilities

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Re: VMware Workstation Multiple Vulnerabilities

Hi,

Perhaps a bit OT, but I have a question, is it worth to make the switch to v6? Of course there have been fixed quite a few bugs, but I´ve also read that it can cause a lot of problems! I never had any major problems with v5.5.1, but as soon as I installed v5.5.5, I couldn´t make a network connection anymore. So I guess I´m asking if there are people out there, who don´t have any serious problems with v6, and also, should I do a new install, or upgrade it? TIA ;)

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I got a bit worried and downloaded the secunia Personal software inspector but it did not warn me about my vmware 6.0.3 version...

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Don't think I've had a problem with v6. For me it was a given that I'd update with the new support for various OSes but not only that the support for USB, multi monitors, and running VMs in the background and of course the many other improvements. With the 6.0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 we have seen many more OSes added and of course some bug fixes.
    Have a look at the release notes and you'll know if you should update. For me its simple, I have to to keep at the forefront, working with clients and the various VMWare products.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: VMware Workstation Multiple Vulnerabilities

I installed V6, with no issues. Had to make a minor change in my machines, but overall I really like V6

Pete

6. Peter2150

Version 6.03 is the fix, so that's right.

Pete

7. Rasheed187

OK thanks for the feedback, I´m going to reinstall my OS soon (I have finally backed up all my data) so I guess it wouldn´t hurt to do a bit of experimenting now. I will give v6 a shot, and I will also install XP SP3. ;)

Btw, totally forgot to ask this question: if I´m correct, v6 supports a new feature, that let´s you run apps outside the VM window, as if it´s running on your real machine. Has anyone tried it, and what´s your opinion about it?

8. Peter2150

Haven't tried that, but the dual monitor is really slick.

9. Meriadoc

You can run VMs and close Workstation. Also you can do virtual network computing as a VM can act as a VNC server, an appliance view that will let you connect to the guests browser, use a mapped drive - virtual disk to drive letter and can also connect to the VM.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. Rasheed187

11. Meriadoc

Workstation 6.5 beta,..not available as a beta program to participate in yet, will have Unity - the Fusion feature for Mac which allows another OS program to run on the desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.