VMWare Rootkits The Next Threat Part2

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SystemJunkie, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I restarted a thread because the old one can´t be replied due to no obvious reason. Related to the link of the last thread
    The ironical aspect is obviously, latest amd technologie called nested pages, the rootkit shall nest in the pages. :D :D :D :D

Beside I assume that Virtual PC is by far the most critical of all VMs because you can directly drag and drop from real system into vm. I love this function but how easy may it be exploited? Virtual PC is also the fastest of all VMs that´s absolutely great but does not support USB Sticks that´s bad. Maybe someone should tell the creators the BSOD Problem related to several terratec soundcards/drivers or incompats.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Try Virtualbox instead.

3. SystemJunkie

I tested them all. Virtualbox is cool but a bit slower.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

As you can with VMWare _________, or am I missing your point?

Since the only true secure computer is one thats not connected to any other computer, internet - network and vm tech enables you to create a computer on and connected to the host may I say networked, you will always have this problem of security.

Always update and have the latest environment if you can.

Take care to configure drag and drop access.

VMWare VMTN Discusssion Forums & Knowledge Base

You can actually get away with just having VMWare Player.

Create a VM by using QEMU to make a disk file (.vmdk) and then write a text file with the information and renaming it to .vmx - I can let you have a text file.

So what is your discussion of 'the next threat' ?

5. SystemJunkie

This is totally right.

I started the thread because the one from last year was inaccessible.
    This Rutkowska story about the new Pacifica technology from AMD and the nested pages, they deserve this name truly, the rootkit will probably nest in these pages. :D

She is the most paranoia making one outthere in the security bizz, did you read the story about northbridge hacking? Totally crazy. I guess if I´d try to live secure online according to her Game Over Story I had to buy each second day a new computer, because anything could be infected *lol* Bios, Northbridge!, and what the hell not all kind of hardware components, probably I also should replace my dvd burner and naturally my audio card too. :D :D :D Each 2nd day in 2nd (matrix) life.

I think she aims mainly one destination: Money. Creating more fear making more money, anything I can read on her page leads to one aim: Money.

6. Meriadoc

:D lol turn the tables. Rutkowskas hyperjacking is deadly effective as if you can’t trust the software, operating system or hardware, how can you detect it.
    Have you read about the authors of Vitriol challenge to Rutkowska.
    Black Hat

hyperjacking is no threat

'Does Northbridge hacking sound sexy to you?' - Rutkowska. :D $$ :eek: :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I was looking for that link about Matrix nonsense. In fact, the movie affected too many people.

As to threats, I hardly see them. The phrasing 'may be exploited' is about as serious as saying ' Earth could be destroyed by a meteor.' Sure, it could happen. Could ... Period. Let's leave all the probabilities to QM.

Mrk

8. Meriadoc

Exactly, but it fills classes.

9. SystemJunkie

Loooooooool, hahaha, yes that´s totally insane.

lool

Sounds like a action movie, martial arts monsters dive into your cpu.

Just look if black ice doesn´t work then you caught the sophisticated ntrootkit. Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.