vmware questions

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by iceni60, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just saw the last security now was about vmware so i listened to it and i want to use it again. but, i don't know the differences between all the versions - player, workstation, server and whatever the others are. which one should i use, and are they all free? thanks

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

As far as I remember, vmPlayer and vmServer is free, and the other are a ridiculous amount of cash.

Difference, as far as I know, is that Player you have to download a prebuilt package first. Mrkvonic has written a good guide to the vm software here:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vmware_player.html

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, sosaiso. so the player can only play precompiled images and the player and server are both free and the workstation isn't.

on this page it says something about a serial number, what's that for?
    http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

i don't really know what they mean by server, but i'm just going to get the player i think.

thanks for the help.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i might install that too, but i'm not sure what the server is. anyway, all the images are really slow torrents, the ones i want are anyway so i might not even use it.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

incase this link ever goes missing i'll explain what needs to be done to get vmware working with (open)suse. it only needs to be run once when it's first installed, or after an update (i hope lol)

kernel modules don’t compile, so you need to patch vmware to get the vmware working. download the patch called vmware-any-any-updatexxx.tar.gz from either of the links below -
    http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz
    http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

then run the script as root. (runme.pl) i just ran it after updating vmware and it now works again :cool:

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Vmware Workstation is indeed expense, but if you need or want the capability it is totally awesome.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Major difference between player and server:

Player can run a single machine at any one time.
    Server can run several simultaneously.

Player cannot build machines - you must use external sources to do that.
    Server can create new virtual machines.

Player cannot save snapshots of existing machines.
    Server can save a single snapshot that gets overwritten every time you make a new one, per machine.
    Workstation has an unlimited number of snapshots.

Server can connect to virtual machines remotely.

Most importantly, Player cannot install drivers - mainly video and mouse drivers, which can greatly enhance the usability of the virtual machines.

Server can install these drivers and has a very large repository for existing operating systems, also allows copy & paste of text into and from the virtual machine.

Workstation is mainly for businesses and IT, Player and Server should serve you well on a small scale - like home.

I suggest you go with Server. It works well both in Linux and Windows.

Mrk

P.S. Don't download images - install your own! Good exercise in installation of operating systems + full customization to your needs.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

lol, i always download the images, i know it's abit dodgy but, i've got the player. i've got nothing on my computer that's important anyway so if there's spyware in the image it doesn't really matter.

lol, that was a joke :D
    and that online, easy something, i don't know how it works o_O i installed freebsd last night :cool: i might get the server.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

12. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Congrats! FreeBSD is great, excellent. You will discover that the documentation is neatly organized.

Good for you!

Did you rebuild world?

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i haven't got freebsd any more, i broke that install, i did something to the HDDs and managed to corrupt all the data on both HDDs, i only just got the second drive working again lol

i just followed this post to get my guest full screen - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=300968

i followed post 3 too where it says this - my preferences file was not at ~/vmware/preferences it was at ~/.vmware/preferences

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Iceni! Do,t forget Virtual Box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.