VMware or VirtualPC

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by :::-:::, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :::-:::

:::-::: Guest

Which one is better? Please tell me about your experience WITH THE LATEST VERSIONS of these programmes.

In particular: do certain programmes crash the vm or refuse to run (e.g., Norton Antivirus)? Are there problems with certain commercial software protectors (like ASProtect)? Is the vm stable? Can you easily drag & drop files from the host machine to the vm (w/o any crashes)? How much hd space/memory does it use? How slow is the vm?

Many tia.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't know exactly (I don't use either of them), but although linux support in vpc should be viable technically, it is not recommended or supported by MS.

3. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

We have compared VMware Workstation and GSX with MS Virtual Server. We have chosen VMware Workstation, because GSX is more expensive and Virtual Server doesn't support Windows 2000 host O/S.

We have chosen Windows 2000 host O/S, because we don't want to use the XP host O/S and we have more experience and licenses for 2000 than 2003. According to some sources Windows 2000 is also lighter on resources, but I haven't verified this.

We have chosen Windows 2000 SP4 as our guest O/S.

I can't comment on functionality, because the project has been halted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.