VMWare future looks very exciting

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Longboard, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This caught my eye: looks to a great leap forward for the desktop..
    http://www.chipx86.com/blog/?p=250

3D in VMWare Fusion already exists: lol; demonstrates the difference btwn an "operating system" and the rest..

Now for Winboxes: Unity and 3D: nice

VMWare is really a great thing to explore and good to see they're not stalling developments

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Workstation 6.5 beta was a nice test -have alot more time to get back to testing VMWare now - and there are some nice features around the corner and being talked about. VMWare continue to set the standard.

3. Longboard

Sorry I forgot you posted that.

Is that beta programme still open ??
    D'ya think they might need cluelesss endusers to help break their tools ??
    I could possibly lower my skill level a bit
    :D :D

PS Meriadoc:
    I have just swapped some interesting e-mails with the guy who runs:
    Bagside: http://bagside.com/
    An interesting site
    He has loads of fully configured VMs here
    http://bagside.com/bagvapp/

He really is a genuine benefactor to the VM community and to any one who shows interest.

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I agree, VMWare is definitely the leader and produces a great product.

My only question is why the Mac version is $79 but the windows version is $189. If the Windows version was priced similar to the Mac version, I'd buy it. Until then I'll use one of the free versions.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm also getting interested in VMware. Not really planning to pay $189 for it, if VMware Player (free) meets my personal wishes. I have more time also. Quite a download 170MB.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I like, I like ... Never bought VMware Workstation, using Server ... But if this is what you get, then I'll buy not one but TWO licenses, Windows and Linux respectively.

As the popular saying goes, once you go hack, you can never go back!

Mrk

7. Mapson

Mapson Registered Member

Eirk, I've been having a lot of success with Sun's free VirtualBox. The snapshot capability might be to your liking as well.

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...-Start?ProductRef=innotek-1.6-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

8. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the tip. I will try that one too in the near future and I like snapshots as a FDISR-user, certainly when they are virtual, because FDISR doesn't use virtual snapshots.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

10. ErikAlbert

That is indeed a serious shortcoming because I like to go backward and forward, like dancing.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

VMware has such capability. Not sure about latest VB if they have improved this feature or not.

12. ErikAlbert

Well, I will see it anyway, once I start playing with it. Thanks for your input. :)

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

@ Longboard not sure what that is about (beta program) I will find out - but yeah please register so that you can join future tests.
    Btw thanks for that link to bagside:thumb:

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, something else you might test with the snapshot, is can you trash the disk and will going back with a snapshot recover. VM ware does, and it also will revert the whole system, including all disks.

15. Longboard

:thumb:
    Yes:
    although it's prolly cheating a bit; and, not withstanding dedoimedo.com :thumb: and google, getting the VMs all done up with a nice ribbon, is a bit lazy but nice: the VMWare tools install can defeat/frustrate me somewhat, particularly the networking.

I do feel a bit lazy though, not doing it the hard way to really learn..still time ..;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  16. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

I use VMWare Workstation and VirtualBox i find them invaluable. I run Server 2008 and being able to run an XP, Linux inside is great. I can create, test out multi-boot cds. I saved a fortune in coasters. I wish they had better USB support though. It sure makes for a good sandbox. I'm sure we be using the net in a permanant sandbox in the not too distant future via VM built around the o/s. In fact Hyper 5 VM is included with Server 2008 thats just come out of beta. I love to see this technology stop hackers dead in there tracks and stop infected pcs, botnets and clear up the adverts and spam. It should all become mandatory to have this on pc connected to net. Clearing alot of that up, the net should get faster. Why can't ISP's play a role in forcing users to use VM to access there ISP. Sorry i'm dreaming again.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

How secure is the(free) VM Player with the browser appliance ?

Interesting its missing in discussions about ISR/virti softwares here on Wilders.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

From what i read Virt Box in his newest incarnation has much better USB 2 support then previous.

19. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

It be very secure as a specific exploit would have to know of it to conquer it to pass to the other side. More secure than Sandboxie as it will be less used.

I will recommend X64 Windows to use in VM's and on the real as well. Alot rootkits are stopped dead in there tracks using X64. The recent MBR rootkits being a prime example.

20. Longboard

@Huupi
    VM has always been in those discussions in some form or other.
    VMs are a step in a different direction.

Perhaps the security aspects of VMs are a little less clear than say AE or Returnil . Integrating VMs ( which I suspect for most users here might on the desktop or a home network ) into an imaging set-up or ISR set-up is a slightly different paradigm.

Applying security apps in a VM is still I think an open ended discussion as to what and how.

I am uncertain about some security issues with shared folders and networking out of a VM: that may represent some risks.
    A VM as a 'sandbox' isolated OS set-up as snapshots with Returnil or Sandboxie = really secure.

Heh heh: Linux in a VM behind a router: I think I'm OK there.

The other option for safety is here: http://www.thinstall.com/solutions/secure_apps.php

I'll be running in A virtual environment at work soon too

21. Longboard

Well, well.
    Speak of the devil: allegedly no exploits but: "if you build it they will come...."

Security weakness in VMWare.
    Prolly not the last.
    AT least the updates are timely.
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4501

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting stuff. I run exactly the same security setup on my VM machines as I do the host. I don't have any folders shared, and there is an option that allows turning on or off the ability to copy files to and fro from host to VM machine. I usually leave it on, but if going to the darkside it's off.

I keep finding more and more uses for VM machines. They are indeed awesome.

23. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

These vulnerabilities come from the VMWare putting in too many features. The more connected the VMs are to the host, the more room for error and exploitation. I'm using Xububtu in a VM right now for security. But who else would bother? VMs are certainly not low hanging fruit for crackers to target.

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you practice safe hex then the chances of gettng infected is low imo. The chances of getting infected with something that also exploits vmware would be so far below that its negligible as far as i'm concerned.

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Looks exciting......yes,but from what i get,support for graphic tablet on USB (wacom) is still an issue.I'v searched the web and on the VMWare site but as of yet no clear solution.I depend much on tablet for my daily work,so it frustrate me that VMWare is no option for me,maybe you guys know something more to get me out of this annoying problem ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.