VmWare Browser?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Infinity, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Does anyone knows something about this addon for VmWare?

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/browserapp.html

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It's an OS image for VMWare Player, their freeware program. It's just like running Knoppix inside Windows, but with only internet software (and I believe it's Ubuntu instead of Knoppix).

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes the OS is ubuntu. It is preconfigured which has advantages and disadvantages. I had a lot of trouble with it running it in Workstation 5.0. I wanted to change a lot of the settings and found I couldn't which I think was because it was preconfigured but might have been because I was totally new to any form of Linux. I wanted, for instance, to switch to bridged networking instead of NAT that was configured because of the security hole in VMWare. I did not want to upgrade my Workstation at this time so needed to disable NAT in Services as a workaround but I couldn't get VMWare Browser to allow me to switch to bridged networking. I also could not load VMWare Tools. Other things also that made it too limited for me. I also couldn't get the CDRom to work. This too may have been because it was Linux but I had no problems setting up and configuring two guest computers in Workstation that use Windows. But I set up myself each of these. I think it was the preconfigured aspect of this ubuntu that made it so limited.

But if you don't have Workstation and plan to run it in the free VMWare Player then you will probably like it as you won't be expecting to be able to do all the stuff you can in Workstation.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Of course with the full VMWare Workstation you could probably run Knoppix or a full install of the Linux of your choice. I think the fact that you can't change anything is kind of the point.. very secure and just ready to use as-is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.