VMplayer-Some Questions.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by avman1995, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Hey Guys,I would like to have some questions answered about vmplayer here as I cant find their answers.

DO they have snapshot feature in the free version?

Also,I have attempted to find a Windows XP ISO for the VM but I cant seem to get 1 actually Windows XP setup ISO on the internet,any ideas about where can I get one??

Also I dont seem to have any OS installation CD's!? so if this doesnt have snapshot feature and I test some malware on it and screw it up I cant restore it back :argh:

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

No, but you can suspend the session, and when VMware closes copy the entire directory containing your VM files to another location. It might not be as elegant as in the Workstation version, but it does the job.

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I recently purchased XP retail (a never before activated retail version oif the OS is what you will need to create the new VM - I have read that OME installation disks will not work). I found a number of sellers on both e-bay and amazon. I paid $149 for my copy of XP Home.

If you download VMWare vCenter Converter you can create a VM of an existing setup so there would be no need for a new OS installation (physical to virtual as opposed to creating a new machine with a pristine OS). This VM can be run with Player or Workstation. You can make copies of the VM file (just as you would when backing up any other file). Then, as things go wrong with 1 copy simply delete it and begin using a new one.

For a step by step guide on how to do this see http://www.securitybeacon.com/?p=651

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Thanks guys,But I downloaded VBox and a win7 ISO :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.