VM guest security suite apps

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mikeo1313, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

Do you really need a firewall & antivirus on a guest VM os, setup with a "bridged" network connection,, even if the hostos has a firewallo_O I assume not, but, wanted to hear what people have to say...

Is there a read-only mode for VM's so that changes to disk aren't retained?? if so how do you set it up or how is it referenced in VMware Workstation??

When you use the VMplayer does that maintain the original VM intact?? I assume it can, but if there is a special setting to do so, please specify??

Thanks

2. mikeo1313

Oh another question....

To avoid ip address conflict errors with guest os {win2003 r2} how do you setup the network connection... thus far I have it as bridged... and I can't surf on the net and get a bunch of the ip address conflict error messages...

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try using NAT instead of bridged.
    Mrk

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

That would depend on what you're using a VM for

VMware Wks has a 'snapshot' feature. Try setting it like this -

vmw251107.jpg

If bridged... disable DHCP on both host and guest and set a different fixed addresses. Now, put your guest IP in your host's firewall as trusted (or not, if you would like to filter it with host's firewall)

Cheers,

5. mikeo1313

Thanks for the help... If I have a os DHCP.. it would be on the guest os, I'll see if its enabled....

On my router I use mac filtering and assign my ip with its DHCP also... I'm unsure, but, it seems I'd have to also enter the VM's mac address in my router for it to access the internet... BUT I do remember some years ago, I didn't have to do that, so I'm doubtful thats needed. I have no problem accessing network shared folders.

The VM assigned ip/device is trusted in my host's Comodo firewall + can access resources.

6. mikeo1313

For my connectivity issues I had to take off the MAC filter...

then everything worked perfectly.

7. mikeo1313

Limewire... so the software firewall on the host does no protection for the guest, atall... I imagine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.