[VLC Media Player] Security bug from 2010 still not fixed?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'd like to see more on this. I see it was tested against FF v3, but would it also work in later versions?

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Keep your media player sandboxed/ running at low priority. No problem.

LowIL is basically made for a media player IMO, all they need to do is read and reads aren't restricted.

4. m00nbl00d

I'm not concerned about myself. I'm just wondering why the security bug was never fixed?

@ dw426

Like you, I don't know if it will work against newest Firefox versions, but considering the issue is not with Firefox but with VLC, maybe all it would be required is a bit of imagination and make it work on newest FF versions, if needed.

My guess is as good as yours... :argh:

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Because most people don't care about security and most programmers don't give it a thought.

If every program ran in their own sandbox and protected mode ala IE we'd have a much easier time.

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

In this thread : -http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=87737&p=294689&hilit=sa41810#p294689-

it is said that the developer/maintainer for their browser plug-ins had left VLC project some time ago, and the bug seems to remain unpatched.
    I was wondering the same question as you asked myself a while back. Seems strange to still not be fixed.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm confused. Don't the respective plugins get updated with main release? Or are these plugins controlled by a completely different "department" of devs/volunteers? I'd hate to sit here and realize these plugins haven't been touched in 3 years. Luckily most things on the web are now Flash-based, so I've yet to actually need the plugin.

8. m00nbl00d

It should also be said that VLC's plugin isn't installed by default; the user needs to select it to install it.

Generally speaking, it would be far more worse if it was a bug in VLC's activex, which is installed by default.

Nonetheless, one has to wonder what's taking this long to patch it. Is it really because of what user Dermot7 pointed us to? o_O

If they lack a developer, then perhaps they should take the plugin away? I mean, if you can't fix it, don't provide it.

It's not like VLC's plugin is as useful as Flash Player as you said, anyway. I'm also yet to see a web site complain about a media player plugin.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Don't install the plugin and you're fine, there's really no reason to do so unless you take joy in expanding your browsers attack surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.