Vitual disk problem

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Uli9000, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

Hi folks

I recently deleted all files on the virtual disk using windows explorer but the volume bar in the 'tools' tab shows there is still stuff on there.

Does anyone know how to fix this discrepancy without making an entirely new virtual disk?

Thanks

Uli

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Please describe the situation with a bit more detail.

Thanks
    Mike

3. Uli9000

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

Home> Tools> Virtual disk (tab). There is a 'bar' readout showing how much space is left on the virtual disk and how much has been used (see attached RVS shot1) where it says '452MB free of 511MB'.

According to this I have used 59MB of space on the virtual drive (511MB minus 452MB) but when I open the virtual drive: 'My Computer'> Returnil (Y:)' and delete all the files (see attached RVS shot 2) there is nothing there so according to my understanding (and I'm beginning to suspect that is what is at fault) it should read '511MB free of 511MB'; if there are no files on a 511MB disk then there should be 511MB of free space (I'm really sorry if this sound like too much detail, I'm just trying to be clear)

If I add files to the virtual disk the amount of free space shown on the aforementioned 'bar' readout goes down. This makes sense.

But when I remove files the amount of free space left should go up but it doesn't. It stays where it was.

I am assuming the virtual disk works like the conventional C: - when files are added there is less free space left. When files are removed free space goes up.

Trying it another way, how do I get the whole 511MB back without throwing out the old virtual disk and creating a new one?

Hope I've managed to make myself clear.

Thanks

Uli

Attached Files:

4. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Thanks for the report. It appears that it may be a glitch in the reporting or it is not refreshing as expected with the removal of content. Does this same disparity happen if you have more than one item saved in the VD but only delete one of them?

Mike

5. Uli9000

Hi Mike

Yes I still get the same disparity.

Trying to resolve the problem I noticed that the readout in the bottom left of the explorer window (I think that's what it's called, I mean the second screenshot attached to my previous post) in the box titled 'Details' gives the same readout as the 'bar' in the tools section of RVS.

I've tried adding and deleting files but this readout in the explorer window remains unchanged along with the 'bar'

Thanks

Uli

6. Coldmoon

One thing to keep in mind here:

The Virtual Disk is actually a large file rather than being a real disk drive. To create this file, there are configurations and information that are added to the VD to allow Windows to see and use it as though it were a real disk. Given this, does the space remaining show properly for multiple items? I.E., when you put content in the VD, does it display space used for the files + the empty size?

Ex:

Two files are in the VD with a size of 10 MB each. Does the space used show as 10 + 10 + 59 MB?

Thanks
    Mike

7. Uli9000

Hi Mike

Yes the readout is accurate (no disparity) when multiple items are stored on the VD.

As far as I can make out, the reading always shows the most recent largest amount of space used.

E.G. store onto a freshly created VD four files of 10MB each on the VD and the readout of free space drops my 40MB (there is always a small amount of space taken up immediately after creation of VD, don't know what this is)

Then delete two of the files - readout remains at 471MB of free space (now reading inaccurately)

Add one file of 30MB - readout now of 461MB free space (accurate)

Readout then stays at 461MB free space (even if items are deleted) until amount of used space exceeds 50MB.

Hope this makes sense.

Another issue has arisen that I mention here because it may be relevant:

The recycle bin 'remembers' across system safe sessions dependent on activation of VD,

E.G. - boot into normal mode, VD dismounted.
    The recycle is empty

Then enable system safe, mount VD - recycle bin now contains all files sent to it during previous system safe session from the VD.

Thanks

Uli

8. Uli9000

Hi, Uli again

I made an error at the end of my previous post. It is not necessary to enable safe mode for the files to return to the recycle bin (those deleted from the VD in previous system safe session). It is only necessary to mount the VD.

Thanks

Uli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.