Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by HawkInOz, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkInOz

HawkInOz Registered Member

LNS requires and includes the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package. Can the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package be used instead? Thank you!

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, I don't think it will work.
    You can try it anyway, there is no special risk, you will just get an error message if the expected libraries are not found.

The standard installation files without the VC libraries are mentioned in this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=216027

Frederic

3. HawkInOz

I have uninstalled the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package and LnS (everything) from my Windows 7 RC installation, and have installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package followed by a clean install of LnS 206p3 without the package (upgrade version). Everything seems to be running fine.

Frederic - can you (or others) please verify that everything runs fine on other platforms as well? You might want to consider including the newer VC package with 206p4 when you make it available. Thanks!

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I've uninstalled the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package from my Vista x64, re-booted, installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, and re-booted.

... SideBySide error, Look 'n' Stop didn't load, perhaps I need to also re-install the Look 'n' Stop to detect the VC++ 2008 ...

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I'm not sure but I think it will reinstall the VC2005 library.

Frederic

6. HawkInOz

It won't reinstall the VC2005 library if you use the installation that does not include the library. I checked the installed programs, and the 2005 Redistributable package is definitely *not* installed any longer - on the 2008 SP1 package appears in the list. Note the order I used in my last post:

Uninstall VC2005
    Uninstall LnS
    Install VC2008 SP1
    Install LnS (w/o package)

I'm writing this on the computer that has LnS running fine with the new package on Windows 7 RC.

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

With Windows 7, there is no need to install VC libraries, running the simple Look 'n' Stop setup works directly.
    So, I don't think the test you did proves you can install VC2008 libraries instead of the VC2005 ones.

Even it this works, since the 2.06px versions are built with VC2005, I don't think it's a good idea to includes the VC2008 libraries instead. This could cause additional unexpected issues/behaviors.

I did some tests also under Vista x64 SP1, and here also the standard setup seems to work directly, without any VC libraries installed. So I guess one of the Windows Updates now includes the required DLLs directly.
    If I run the Setup with the VC2005 package, it is not detected and installed anyway (for both tests: Win7 and Vista x64-SP1).
    This is because the VC2005 package is a product itself (appearing in the installed programs after installed), and the test is performed on this product, not on the presence of the required DLLs.

Regards,

Frederic

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, but I think Phant0m meant the setup with the VC2005 library.
    Anyway, the standard setup also requires itself the VC2005 libraries, so if looknstop.exe no longer runs with a side-by-side error, the same will happen when running the standard setup.

Frederic

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. Phant0m

Hi Frederic,

I too have the Service Pack 1 installed, when I uninstalled the VC2005 package and re-booted, Look 'n' Stop wouldn't start. I tried manually checking for additional WU updates, nothing was available, I proceeded with the VC2008 install.

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Phant0m,

When it is uninstalled, it will remove explicitly the DLLs, that's why it was no longer working.

What I can see on my test machines: VC libraries were never installed, and the standard setup runs directly. But the starting point is not the same as yours.

Do you mean after installing manually VC2008 libraries, looknstop.exe starts again properly ?
    In that case, the answer to the very initial question of the post is finally Yes ;)
    (I thought I has experimented that once, it didn't work. The problem is I can't test that again, since now if works even with no VC libraries installed...).

Frederic

11. Phant0m

No... I just mean when I originally tried testing it out with just VC2008 libraries.

12. Phant0m

I know when installing graphic drivers such as ATI .. it'll install VC2005 libraries by default. ;)

13. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

It was coming from the VMWare tools...
    After I uninstalled this, the standard Look 'n' Stop setup no longer works.
    So, I could test with VC2008 Redist only, but it didn't help.
    VC2005 SP1 Redist is definetly required.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.