Vista's Fine Print Raises Red Flags

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ice_Czar, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005104.php
    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1640/159/

By Passing PatchGuard on Windows x64 (read conclusion)
    Security vendor circumvents Windows Vista's Patchguard
    Its all about the money (must read coverage and links)
    Subverting PatchGuard Version 2

and the ubiquitously linked article (and ongoing updates) that seriously stoked the fires of controversy
    A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Re: Windows Vista goes gold, to be available Jan 30th, 2007

MS revised that and have now relaxed all that stuff about backups and letting the user replace their hardware. i think i heard that on one of leo laporte's podcasts :cautious:

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Re: Whoo Hooo!!! Vista Rocks!!!!

note this post was relocated here, since it contains slightly different info from the first post I'll leave it intact. And was an answer to:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    strangely the EULA does say its their determination what you can and can't run, aps that attempt to circumvent their interpretation of the EULA can be disabled or removed by them, this is likely the legal groundwork to safeguard the DRM scheme and locking PatchGuard (64bit) a further means to avoid circumvention.

its justified as "security" but has a nice set of ulterior motives

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005104.php
    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1640/159/

Its all about the money

only firms with a relationship to Microsoft are getting real access to kernel level drivers
    not true of malware authors, cracking PatchGuard is harder not impossible and there is alot of money to be made, however doing it illegally to develop security applications isnt going to fly. Its an artificial choke point for licensing much like the one introduced in Game Explorer

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html > see note K

there is security that will run, if it was developed by a big enough player that was able to leverage Microsoft for the API's or is in bed with them. Or simply isnt hooking into the OS deep enough to avoid subversion.

between WGA and Windows Defender, it will exceed the abilities of the majority of the public to workaround the onerous (and possibly illegal) restrictions in the EULA

my opinion is of course in my sig, but more to the point is that Micosoft is actually far more vulnerable than most suspect, after 5 years and 6 billions dollars they have alot riding on this, but adoption for most people entails a completely new system, the DRM restrictions choke everyone, compatibility issues are rife and IBM, HP and Intel are pushing in both the EU courts as well as for a unified Linux platform.

If a user friendly option was available on new OEM systems without the DRM, theyd really be in for a fight.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Of course, it will be raped in a month or two:D , if not already...
    Otherwise, it's your computer and theirs:ninja:

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Re: Windows Vista goes gold, to be available Jan 30th, 2007

I assume that they have not removed the capability of doing so or even recording

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Pinga,

Good article, wasn't aware of it - so much to read and so little time ;)

I've sensed this MS attitude for a while now and have the same feelings as the author. I also detect a general lack of enthusiasm from a lot of reviewers once you get past the "wow look at the graphics" kid stuff.

I timed a high end dual core/dual HD Laptop purchase at the beginning of January so as not to get Vista pre installed but wanted to dual boot it with XP MCE.

Have been runninng Vista now for about a month and tough to get under the hood and constantly circumventing the MS "we know better" stuff.

Hope I get to like it better than I do, but if not, it didn't cost me anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.