VistaPE using Mustang's ATI11 Script - Can't browse network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jgsouthard, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgsouthard

jgsouthard Registered Member

I've run into problems with backup/recovery to network drives using the ATI11 Recovery CD/Manager, so I'm trying to create a VistaPE CD with Mustang's ATI11 script. I have done so successfully using WAIK, thanks to Mustang's great script and directions.

The problem is this -- ATI11 in VistaPE can't see the network, but only the local drives.

The network is there, so I know that the NIC is working. I can connect to the internet and ping external sites, and I can see other local systems on my subnet if I use the SoftPerfect Network Scanner. But the network does not appear to be browseable; i.e. in Total Commander I can't see anything under Network Neighborhood. And within Acronis TI11, it doesn't show any "My Network Places" at all.

Seeing these symptoms in a normal Windows XP environment, I would think that the workgroup name was set wrong, which would allow me on the peer-to-peer network but not allow me to browse to the other peers. But I'm not familiar with Vista and definitely not familiar with VistaPE, so I don't know how to set the network workgroup name to "WORKGROUP" (which is what the other systems use), or even if that's what the problem is.

Any hints as to what might be wrong and how to fix it?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

In VistaPE you can access the workgroup name by starting the application PENetCfg to configure the network. Here you can change from DHCP to a fixed IP address, set the Workgroup name, map a network drive, etc.

To be honest, I don't remember if you can browse "Computers Near Me" when running TI in VistaPE, but the last backup that I did to my NAS box was done in VistaPE by mapping the NAS as a network drive.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

Under VistaPE, the default workgroup is already set to WORKGROUP. The trick to see network shares is to use PENetCfg to map a network share. After you map just one network share, all network shares will become visible to all the apps. (including True Image, Toatal Commander and A43). If you have left all the default configurations, PENetCfig.exe will be found under Y:\PENetCfg. Click on the Network Drives tab and use \\ComputerName\ShareName and username password. I usually use Administrator for username.

4. jgsouthard

jgsouthard Registered Member

Thanks for the help.

As far as I can determine, PENetCfg is only available if I use a Vista DVD as the VistaPE source. I used Windows AIK, so I don't have PENetCfg.

I found a utility called "Map Network Drive," so I tried to use that to map to one of my network shares, but when I do that I get the following error dialog box:

AutoIt Error

Line -1:
    Error: Variable must be of type "Object".

Plus, I'm not sure how to enter credentials when I'm trying to access a NASLite NAS box, when is open to everyone without security control. I also tried connecting to a share on another Windows XP Pro SP2 computer using Administrator or User login/password, but I got the same error.

5. mustang

mustang Developer

As far as I can see, mapping the network drive is the only way to make it work. I think you're correct about needing a Vista DVD as the source to get PENetCfg to work. I would expect your NAS to map using a blank username and password, but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help. The Map Network Drive utility didn't work for me either. I suggest you visit the Boot-Land forum and ask for networking help.

You may have better results using BartPE. I know it works exactly as I posted above. Map any share on any computer and all shares on all the computers on the network show up. It doesn't seem to work that way in VistaPE.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

That's a footnote to put right in the guide ;-)

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I built VistaPE using a Vista DVD. The PENetCfg utility does work for mapping network drives. You need to change the workgroup name (only if it is something other than WORKGROUP) to be able to see the network shares, then use the map network drive function in PENetCfg to map a share to a spare drive letter.

I too was unable to get the other VistaPE "Map Network Drive" function to work, but mapping does work when using PENetCfg.

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Yes, PENetCfg can map a network drive under VistaPE. After the drive is mapped, TI will see any tib files in that folder. The drive will show up in the Restore wizard under Computer. With VistaPE, you need to map the folder that contains the tib file you want to access. The rest of the network shares do not show up unless they are each mapped using PENetCfg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.