VISTApe network issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earthling, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

I'm really delighted at the way VistaPE has resolved pretty well all of my issues with ATI 11. At last I feel I can trust it to get me out of stuck should I need it to.

The only outstanding problem now is that VistaPE seems unable to get my network up, so I'm confined to using locally attached drives. There's no info - just says Error - Unable to start network, or words to that effect.

It's a simple home network using a wireless router, though the Vista PC is attached by Ethernet. Any thoughts on this?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Unless things have been changed recently True image does not work reliably on a wireless network in any case.

Xpilot

3. mustang

mustang Developer

Networking is only available if you use a Vista DVD as the source. PeNetCfg requires the source to be a Vista DVD. Using the WAIK as the source will not work.

If you do have a Vista DVD as the source, wired networking is easy. Start PeNetCfg.exe and set the workgroup. Then use it to map any network drive. After that is done, all network shares will become available.

Wireless networking is not yet available in VistaPE as far I know. Wireless networking can be done in BartPE with the proper drivers and plugins and a little luck.

4. Earthling

That's when the error occurs, when I run PENetCfg. After a two minute wait I get 'Unable to start network support'.

The VistaPE disk used a Vista DVD as the source and the comp is wired to the (Netgear) router.

5. mustang

mustang Developer

That probably means your network adapter is not supported in VistaPE. Have you tried enabling the Drivers (Lan) script?

6. Earthling

Where do I find that?

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Run WinBuilder and hit the Download tab. Drill down in the VistaPE project to Drivers. Put a check mark in the Drivers (Lan) box and hit the Download button.

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Earthling:

If adding the Drivers (LAN) package still does not resolve your issue there is another way to do this. Download the correct LAN driver package for your PC from your PC manufacturer and, if it is a zip file, unzip it. Put the package in a folder called C:\Drivers on your PC.

When VistaPE boots on this PC it will find the folder and use the LAN driver in the folder.

9. Earthling

Thanks for the help guys. I need a time window to tackle this, but is there any way to add the drivers to to the build I've already done, or do you have to go through the whole download and build for each change?

EDIT - sorry, rushed that. Just realised kOlo has answered the question.

10. Earthling

kOlo's method looked as though it would definitely work, so tried that first and it did! Network now fully accessible.

If things go on like this I might even end up liking ATI ;)

Thanks again. I would have completely given up on ATI without your help.

11. Earthling

...and just to complete the feedback, Mustang's method worked too. :)

12. Earthling

I've been trying to get my laptop to use its wireless adapter to get wireless network access for ATI 11, and when booting my VistaPE disk on the laptop with the appropriate drivers in C:\Drivers PENetCfg does recognise and allow me to select the adapter. However it isn't connecting to the router.

Am I wasting my time?

13. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

At the moment, I think yes. I have tried the same and PENetCfg does recognize that I have two network adapters; wired and wireless. The wired adapter works fine but the wireless doesn't.

I don't think that the components needed to support associating with wireless networks or decoding WEP/WPA/802.1x encryption are present in VistaPE. You could ask on the Boot Land forum to see if anyone is working on this.

14. Earthling

I'm glad you said that, because I'd forgotten to disable WEP! After I did that it connected straight away. I doubted it would as I was using a version of the Intel Wireless Pro driver direct from Intel rather than from my PC manufacturer, but there you go, it works! :)

15. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Well whattaya know! Then that means that wireless association works and all that is missing are the encryption supplicants. Interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.