Vista?!

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by tam30, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tam30

tam30 Registered Member

Well, we are past SP1 on Vista already and still my registered GS software is not compatible.

Considering MS will be retiring XP soon, this seems an odd business strategy. I am concerned by the glacial development pace. Will we see Vista 32 support soon? o_O

2. cafeshop

cafeshop Former Poster

Many windows users stick with MSXP and not going to use vista anyway - all workstation OS.
    Probably, Jason will support vista later on after final release of GSS.
    I am waiting for next much more stable and functional of GSS - the 1.4.20 is not useful much anyway. Luckily, the Jason's softwares' lifetime license policy is worth in the case.

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I've said it before, Vista isn't a priority (even for Microsoft). Even if MS "retires" Windows XP it is hardly that important an issue because there will be the new Windows version out by then and freeware XP-esque OSes like ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html) which will work with GSS.

The more I use Vista the more I dislike it, over twice the kernel memory usage, more user bloat and barely any new features.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thats a shame. I used XP Pro for years and after switching to Vista there is no way I want to go back to XP. I guess it is all a matter of preferences but Personally I love Vista Home Premium and will be sticking with it.

bigc

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

What do you like about it? :)

Vista 32 support will probably come to GSS at some stage simply because it shouldn't be that much work to support the 32bit line as I've said before. But if I had to work on it a lot to support it I probably won't do it, at least at this point in time. When the next windows version rolls out Microsoft will publicly admit Vista was a shambles I think.

6. bigc73542

My experience with Vista has been very positive. It has worked flawless in both of my computers. One of my computers with Vista Home premium is about the same speed on accessing files and boot time as Xp Pro. But my second and newest comp is faster than the XP Pro I replaced with Vista. My eighteen month month old computer had Vista installed in place of the XP Pro it came installed with and the newer comp about a month old came with Vista Home premium SP1 preinstalled. I do a lot of computer work for people around here even though I am retired from my two computer shops. All but one in approxamatly twenty five people here that I personally know that have Vista are very satisfied with it. Now a question for you, why would I ever want to go back to XP?? it won't do anymore than what I have and actually several features that are in XP and Vista work better and faster in Vista. But it still comes down to personal preference. Everyone to their own:thumb:

bigc

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i don't get what you saying, you are in business to make money even if you dislike vista how cares, you want to sale you product as much as you can so you can make money, so supporting more OS=More money

i own a music store, and i don't like Indian music, but that don't stop me to selling Indian music CD

8. topmoxie

topmoxie Registered Member

Oh, come on the real reason, Jason has no time to complete it for any operating system, its been in beta with bugs since its inception and will remain that way, period. Jason should publiclly admit his software is a shambles.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also can't understand this defeatist attitude towards Vista. People are already talking about Windows next version. Yes, we all like XP as we get attached to things we use everyday. I got Vista with my new computer, and the more I use it the more I like it, to the point that I can't wait to move to Vista when I occasionally have to use my old XP laptop.

From a programmer's point of view, it must be a pain in the back to adjust to a new OS, whether one likes it or not.

XP is efficient, snappy, but ugly, and graphically superseded. Vista is graceful, I find even browsing with Vista is more relaxing. I think MS at last has abandoned its typically geeky approach to design Vista in favor to a more visually (apple style) attractive one.

Last but not least Vista is safer than XP, as a matter of fact I don't think I need RegDefend for it.

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

From what I have seen Vista does not beat XP at any benchmark and is most often slower. Other tests have also shown that Vista uses 5-20W more power at idle, contributing more to global warming and things of this nature. ;) This might mean with the 150 million Vista sales that another 2 600MW coal burning power plants would have needed to be created (along with 8 million tonnes of CO2) to cope with the "upgrade" from XP to VISTA.

I, like some other people, like efficiency. That is what most of my software aims to be, efficient. Vista is less efficient than XP, at least in general use. There are some things it has improved but generally it is worse. The next version of windows is trying to be very efficient from what I have read about it, so Microsoft are taking the criticism from Vista and making an OS which will hopefully be better than XP.

There is no doubt that visually Vista is more impressive and that to most users they can't notice any slowdown (5-10% is hard to notice) but it is there. So when you have something less efficient with hardly any improvements to make it worthwhile I think that is the general reason why a lot of people on the internet dislike it.

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Interesting. Not seeing that on this dual-boot box. XP and Vista both show 86W when idling. I also see that under an equivalent load using MemTest, XP varies from 124-135W while Vista varies from 91-102W.

Nick

12. bigc73542

I realize that this is not the right section of the forum for this discussion so I will make a closing post and then quit. I have found that people that don't like Vista will always come up with an excuse as to why it is not as good as XP or that it is slow. I have heard hundreds of excuses as to why Vista is no good. But when I have shown some of them how well my comouter runs with Vista they invariably use the excuse that It must be an exception to run that well. I have heard several software developers really bad mouthing Vista also. But it is my opinion the reason the software developers are griping so hard is that they don't want to have to put out the work it will take to make their product work on vista or that they just don't have the skills to make their product work in Vista so they resort to the old stand by "Vista is just no good". Well I have found it to be different, and all of the computers that I have installed Vista on they all run very well except for one and I informed them that their hardware just wasn't up to running Vista. But it was their choice to install it so that is what I did. But in conclusion I will say that the people that are having problems are usually very vocal about it, but all (and there are many) that are running Vista and having a good experience with it are usually not on the roof tops screaming about how good it is. Unlike the people that don't like Vista that never miss a chance to say something bad about Vista. I like it and will continue to use it, after the next version of Windows is released I will give it a try. But if it doesn't really outperforme Vista I will revert bact to my Vista Home Premium.

bigc

13. topmoxie

topmoxie Registered Member

I seem to recall complaints about every OS down the pike from the very beginning, it is human nature to complain, there is also the possibility of not understanding what one is doing with XP and having another os thrown at you, I certanly remember millenium and dont think anyone can dispute how bad it is, I for one like XP, and have never used vista, but I beleive from what I have heard that it is a sound os

14. cafeshop

cafeshop Former Poster

Thanks so much for the info on ReactOS, a Windows XP replacement for FREE & Safe Computing ever.
    :argh:

Regarding GSS releases, We all love and wait for new releases of GSS after the current beta 1.420 even though "Online Armore 2.0.131" protecting our boxes.
    OA supports software install mode to avoid popup series and still being safe. Jason, do you support this install mode for software installation in GSS final ? with this,it is possible way to handle windows live update process in secure way ?

Last edited: May 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.