Vista x64 and Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DuckFOO, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuckFOO

DuckFOO Registered Member

I am setting up a Vista x64 box, and it looks like Avira Premium would be a good option for AV, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Avira Premium prices are in Euros. How people in the US are paying for Avira?
    2. Is Windows Defender useful when running Avira, which seems to include Antispyware capabilities?

Thanks everyone!!

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it doesnt hurt to have windows defender running, but i think its almost useless as its not very good.

3. DuckFOO

Thanks Firzen771. I guess what I am concerned about is the possibility of Avira Premium and Windows Defender conflicting with one another.

4. firzen771

no, there should be no conflicts between the 2.

5. DuckFOO

Thanks!!

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Windows defender can be useful if you run it with spynet enabled. It will alert you to certain system changes which could be malicious.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Windows Defender and Avira premium don't go together and you don't need it either. This is as per the recommendation of Avira devs. You can use Defender AS with the free version of Avira but not the premium.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

DuckFOO, i would disable WD if i were you, indeed this was the first thing i did when i got my first Vista system.

As for prices, you can pay also in us$ if you want from the drop down menu on the online shop. By the way, PM me if you want a nice discount for the premium version.

9. DuckFOO

Thank you to everyone. I do, however, have one last question where Avira is concerned:

Since I use web based e-mail, would there be any point in installing the MailGuard module?

10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

1. You can change the currency when ordering. Also, if you choose PayPal as the payment option, it will automatically convert from EUR to USD if you choose to use the default currency (EUR).

2. Windows Defender, with SpyNet turned out, is pretty much a HIPS. I don't personally use it, but it's free. Won't hurt to try and see if you like it.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You don't need the mailguard module :)

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Wouldnt hurt either, i know nod32 checks windows live mail

13. firzen771

im using Avira and use gmail e-mail, i just chose to not install the mail module as i think the web guard would sort of do the same since its a web site based email.

14. DuckFOO

I went ahead, ordered Avira Premium, and installed it. I have to say that it feels lighter than Nod32 v3 did on the same computer, although I may be mistaken on that. I did not install the MailGuard module but took the defaults on everything else.

I did turn off Windows Defender, though, since I do not want Avira and Defender tripping over each other.

Thanks again to everyone!!

15. firzen771

if you dont mind a few false positives then u can try setting some of the settings to HIGH heuristics, hasnt effected my performance and offers some more protection. my webguard and scanner are set to HIGH heuristics and my guard is set to medium

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Make sure to check the self protection feature and check all the categories in the extended thread module.

17. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I have ALL settings set to high, I haven't had an FP yet. Well, when I downloaded Comodo's leaktest, but I'd hardly call *that* an FP. Just a malware simulator I intentionally downloaded.

18. DuckFOO

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at the manual and see how to do that, since I am still learning my way around Avira.

19. DuckFOO

Okay, I figured out how to enabled high detection in Scanner, Guard, And WebGuard, but I didn't see a "self protection feature". Can anyone give me a pointer?

20. firzen771

its in the General settings section

21. DuckFOO

So that would be the "Protect configuration file against unwanted modifications" under security? If so, there are two options: "Protect configuration" and "Protect jobfiles". Do you recommend selecting both of them?

22. firzen771

i suggest you tick both of those as well, but no, thats not what im talking about, but right under those 2 settings, thers an option to "protect process from unwanted termination"

23. DuckFOO

Here is what I show:

http://www.handslap.com/avira-1.jpg

24. firzen771

hmm thats strange, im using the security suite but im pretty sure when i used to use antivir it had the option o_O

AH it COULD be the fact that your using 64 bit OS or that your using vista, 1 or the other perhaps.

25. DuckFOO

That rings true to me. Thanks Firzen771.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.