Vista Won't Boot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Someone I know who knows zip about security and cares even less has managed to pick up some malware on his Vista 64 resulting in the OS not booting. I was able to get to a few system checks to run, but system restore and Last Known Config were not working. I don't suppose there is much to do other then reinstall...right ?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Unless there is a system backup to restore from, not much can be done

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Why not scan with rescue cd's like avira rescue cd and see if that clears up malware
    or u can make customize rescue cd with ubcd4win and scan with a variety of softwares in its environment

4. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

He will be able to use EEK once the system boots up..till then eek is useless

6. Fiat_Lux

And he could'nt make a suitable bootable USB stick to put the EEK on and use it that way ?

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive used AVG's bootable CD with good results. You can use it from a thumb drive or CD. Hirens Boot CD is also another good choice as its free now.

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Update: I tried AVG's bootable CD. Did not work. Was going to try other suggestions, but after a few negative comments from me about Vista my friend decided he wanted to install Win 7, so I did...hardened it up, gave a security speech and sent him on his way. He had NO win updates, no antimalware apps and the Norton free trial thing had long since expired...jezzz.
    Thank you to all who responded to the post.

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Ah ... one with the wisdom to accept the things you cannot change. I was hopeful ;) you wouldn't sweat it. Good for you!

10. Fiat_Lux

Thanks for the update.
    Just another word to the wise, before leaving, after you set up his computer, you probably kindly should have asked that he/you took a backup to either external media, drive or internal drive, so next time he came around asking you could just tell him to restore from his backup. I've dealt with scenarious like this I don't know how many times and after X number of times you just either don't want to be bothered or have have the max. bother to be to restore his backup for him....
    But ofcourse, this is just "my two cents".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.