Vista version

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Meriadoc, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I need to test my application on Vista.
    I'm not sure but can I choose to install any version of Vista apart from the one below...

Attached Files:

2. Meriadoc

Okay to make things clearer when installing Vista can I choose say 'Ultimate' version 'cos I'm not sure wether I've read somewhere that you can only install 'Home' with this rc1. Also until I installed vmware tools the screen was totally unclear. It doesn't really make a difference I think to what I'm doing, but I would like to play with the full version.
    Anyone who has installed Vista enlighten me.

3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Meriadoc

It may be a function of your hardware. You might go to the Microsoft website and test your computer.

Pete

5. Meriadoc

Texcritter :
    Hi Texcritter, that has confused me 'cos I'm 99% sure I had the option to install any version with this download (downloaded about 2 weeks ago) at the start, but I just had this thought that you could only install 'Home Basic' and asked here to see if anyone could clarify - okay maybe I'm wrong on this totally - to much going on in the head to remember everything :) thanks for the reply.

Peter2150 :
    Thanks for the reply Peter, I'm trying to test an app/tool I'm in the process of finishing/adding to, and wasnt sure if I had the chance of installing 'Ulimate' at the start of the install.

6. Texcritter

Yes you could be right I Have browsed the DVD and there
    are clg files to install
    Business, HomeBasic, HomePremium, and Vista Ultimate
    Not too sure if I had the choice
    Sorry if I misled you

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

When I installed any of the beta versions I was only given the Ultimate to install I don't remember being offered a choice with mine, the Ultimate installed each time for me. As far as I know if you received your Product key as a member of the CPP, the key will only activate Vista Ultimate.

8. Meriadoc

Okay thanks Texcritter, Robyn.
    I'd just pop the disk in again although it must be scratched or dirty as it seems to be corrupt. This edition will suffice for now as I'm already working to fix a BSOD due to a stuck thread. Anyway the install is quite lengthy and lines must be added to the vmx file for this virtual machine then lines must be deleted after to enable resolution, so it is alittle work and at the moment this vm is working just fine for what I want. I'll get another disk and try again.
    Robyn :
    No I don't have a product key, suppose it'll need registering also.

9. Texcritter

I have just reinstalled Vista Ultimate and I can confirm that this was the only choice I had.
    You need a product key and you need to activate your copy within 15 days or it will stop working.

10. Meriadoc

Thanks Texcritter,
    Still havent recieved my rc2 so I downed rc1 and discoverd that if you do not enter a product code (didnt have one at the time) you are offered to install any version, Home, Business etc to Ultimate. If you have recieved a product code and enter it Ultimate is installed with no choice given - the product key is for Ultimate and wont work with the other versions.

11. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

correct...

if you don't enter a key, you will be given choices of what version of vista to install..

12. Texcritter

Thanks
    That makes things a lot clearer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.