Vista Un-Install Issue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by vijayind, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I am using Vista SP1 (32-bit) and I can't seem to safely uninstall ESS 4 beta1.
    When I start uninstall ( via start-menu shortcut or control panel ), I get a prompt that some of the ESS services are in use and need to be closed. So I choose the default option given, to automatically close and proceed.

But that fails, with an error message that some components could not be closed. I see that Eset GUI is closed, but Eset service is still running. But there seems to be no way (other than APT) to kill Eset Service and proceed. Hence Uninstall doesn't proceed.

ESET-uninstall.jpg

Also i noticed that by default the uninstall shortcut in start menu does not have 'Run as Adminstrator' flag set. So I tried to the same again by running the shortcut in Adminstrator mode. Still the same result.

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

try Safe Mode
    delete these folder's
    :\Program Files\ESET
    hidden folder :\ProgramData\ESET
    and registry key's
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET
    then tell if this solve the problem
    eset must release a Uninstaller for v3 and v4

3. vijayind

Yeah, I am sure Safe Mode will work. Probably the uninstaller will also work in Safe Mode, since ESET service will not be running. (Unless uninstaller uses Windows Installer service which is unavailable in Safe Mode)

But still the uninstaller should be fixed. Users should be able to remove ESS in normal mode.

4. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

I always use the "Do not close applications..." option because of this issue.

5. vijayind

Thanks, JMC777. I will try it out.

But really if you can't use the other option, why has ESET given the user a choice. Just serve a notification and reboot !! You can disable the currently running programs ( atleast legally ).

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed, it is usually best to go with this option. They are most likely using a 3rd party installer that offers this option, that could fail to work for reasons unknown. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on 2 machines and have not had any problems. Like many other issues this problem is inconsistent and they may or may not need more information to even be able to reproduce it. There may be some other software that is causing this to not uninstall properly for some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.