Vista UI Is a 'Step Back' for Microsoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

That French Dude is A Bloody Idiot! :rolleyes: Vista is Ultimately Faster, if you dont have tha hardware to run Vista, dont Moan about it ;)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cmon its only just come out it will take a while to get more stable and better drivers for vista.
    i think microsoft will address this and make it faster than XP by loading more of the graphics to the GPU. im sure they can do that.
    omg they compared it to mac OSX a operating that has time to mature.
    of course mac OSX menus and transistions are more fluid its been out for longer and they have had time to perfect it
    i cant belive im defending microsoft but i think i should
    <Snipped>
    lodore

~ Edited to remove possible offensive statement ~ Menorcaman

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Windows have had time to mature, since at least Windows 95. So no excuse there. Besides, all the cool features you see introduced in Windows now have been around with Mac for at least 10 years.

It's quality more than an issue of age.

Mrk

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Performance tweaking.
    Hardware specifications.

I don't see these two in the article. This article is missing these details.
    I see no point for all these fanciful graphics features, I actually find it distracting. Is Windows Vista a multimedia show or something?

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

What bothers me is that places like Best Buy and Circuit City are selling laptops that can barely run Vista Home Basic which is practically useless. Everybody knows that if you have to run Home Basic, you might as well be sticking to XP Home.

7. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It is amazing that after 5 years of development and almost 6 billion dollars, that the Vista operating system is all they could come up with.

Unless they do something quickly to improve the interface and functions, I think it will turn out to be another ME and MS will be in deep trouble.

If Apple can get out some faster computers with Intel chips, many people will switch over in my opinion.

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Done,

and they are already making rapid headway in the CG market
    (which is their bread and butter, and suffered horribly when Xeons & Opterons where kicking the PowerPC's ass)
    the new Xeon dual core workstationss are attractively priced with competitive performance and NO Vista

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Could be, but i think it's too early to see big market share changes. I would like that, but...:doubt:
    "Network economies of scale". Interoperability is highly valuable, etc.

The open nature of GNU has a big incentive, but this takes time i guess... they have marketing without competiton, or at least access to resourses hard to beat. Most people won't even read this, or understand. They buy.

10. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally think the vista GUI is junk anyway. It's pretty sad that MS found it to be a good idea to copy the Mac OS GUI.

I am not one for a Fisher-Price interface. I always revert my XP system back to classic view, because seeing giant animated icons for my folders is annoying and a Pastel colored menu system is ugly. I actually use my computer for more than games and checking email so having a massively "Cool" interface is just overkill.

With vista:
    1) The Sidebar tools is retarded. Do people really like having their desktops that cluttered to have another window affixed to the desktop itself?
    2) Oooo "Glass" windows, so I can see a very blurry image of what is behind the window. Wow, impressive. Now, if the entire windows was see through, maybe...but not when it's just part of the border and the quick-link area on the side. Another useless idea.
    3) Animated folders and icons are a waste of system resources. And the idea that people are too confuses using the old method of Alt+Tab to change window focus is ridiculous. If you can't tell what is open using the normal viewing Alt+Tab method, then you need to stick to using a mouse. The idea of having each icon customized based on what is inside is a decent idea, but I think should be a customized viewing option, not the standard.
    4) A more organized Start menu? I find the new menu more difficult to find things than with the XP menu system. I have had users asking me why it is so different and how to change it back. They don't like it and neither do I.

In my opinion, they whole new OS took a major step backwards. Its not suprising to me that they are more concerned with getting a new OS out soon, than perfecting this big resource hogging pile of mess that they call an OS. I do see Vista becoming the prevalent OS anytime soon, if at all.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

1, It can be quite handy, there are a few hundreds gadgets already.
    2, I like it, I actually do not use maximazed windows anymore to see it.
    3, If someone has a good PC and he does not play games, why not to use it?
    4, I used classic menu in XP, but I started to use Vista, it is more comfortable.
    So did I, but after a few months without it I gave it a try and now I can not live without it.
    Vista is the most comfortable windows ever. Just install & use and that's all. It finds needed codecs itself, solves problems and offers solutions, if possible, etc. Well, a begginer's dream.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

2. i have a see through top bar rightnow using window blinds with a theme called vista style.
    its also got a see through start menu that looks way cooler than the real vista theme.
    if i want see the whole window to be transparent i can use ATI hydravision that come with my ATI graphics card.
    i dont use it much since i dont really need it
    lodore

13. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

Quoted for truth.

I can't stand the new GUI, it just seems very clumsy and slow to navigate. Thankfully I don't have it on my computer. Vista is just crap really. I know it's supposed to be more secure but a decent firewall and real-time anti-virus plus a weekly malware scan keeps XP in perfect knick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.