Vista SP1 what is your take on it

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mike20078800GTX, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike20078800GTX

Mike20078800GTX Registered Member

I know its an RC candidate, but is it worth installing it?

I just reinstalled my OS, but I am not sure if I should install this after windows is updated normally or not.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have read a lot of info on it at several sites and it sounds like there are some very good things in it. But it doesn't sound as if it is really earth shaking but it is supposed to solve a lot of compatability and speed issues. I am a registered MS beta tester but I am going to hold out for the final release on this one.

bigc

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have been running RC for a while now. I originally installed it to see if it would fix my USB problems (though later I found out NIS was the culprit). It seems to be even more responsive, the file copying speed has improved, they have done away with that "Blocked Program" thing you get after a reboot in which you used msconfig. They also done away with Search (not the one you type in at the bottom of the menu but the other one) because of Google griping about it or something. Games seem to play better as well.

When SP1 goes final I will do a fresh reinstall because I know old remnants of the betas and RC will probably be still on my computer somewhere.

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Oh, on the question of installing it now I would believe I would wait since final is not too far off (some sources say it will coincide with the release of Server 2008--Feb 27th).

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I usually install fixes on the Tuesday they are released; however, even though I have been running Vista exclusively since June of 2007, I believe I will wait for a week or so after Vista SP1 is released before I install it.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I tried it and found it quite poor, I can't see what has taken them so long.

Its certainly not as big of an improvement as XP sp1 was

7. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

After I installed Vista SP1 RC, I couldn't use autocad inventor anymore. Every time it just crashed on startup. So I went back to the image I made before I installed SP1.

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I couldnt even install RC1. It kept installing for an hour and when it was finished it said something went wrong, then it started to revert the changes which took another hour :mad:

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wont try it until its final.
    i will also make an image before the install just incase it breaks anything.
    should be interesting if the final is faster than non service pack vista thou.
    lodore

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Any Service Pack from Microsoft is smart enough to create a restore point before doing anything . Moreover it never removes the stuff before the SP , just moves them to ~secure locations in case the SP needs to be removed

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have System Restore disabled and I could uninstall old SP1 in order to instal new SP1, without problems with software installed during using old SP1. :)

12. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Will be nice and a good rollup for the tons of releases since RTM, although not as nice as XP SP3.

13. OHM

OHM Guest

Hi,
    When will the final release come out?
    Maybe approximately 1 month for English,
    and 2 month for other languages?
    Any guess?

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

soon the better IMO.
    i restored an image of original install today so basically the same as a full reinstall and its causing some issues already. so hopefully SP1 will sort of some of the freezing and crashes. when you have quad core and 2gb of ram you dont expect slowdown and crashs.
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

people should be glad of anything.....

i still use an old UNIX system at work, DOS-LIKE.

the old black screen, white text using the old mcdonnel douglas terminals.

(im sure the techies on here will know what they are :D )

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

I had it on here.
    Didn't honestly notice that big a difference.
    maybe a bit more responsive or snappier.
    I uninstalled it.
    I basically just wanted to see how vista handles the large install and subsequent uninstall.
    It was fine.
    Will wait and see when the final is completed.
    I will then place it on board.
    I am not into the guniea pig stuff anymore.
    When they get it finalized then I will install it permanently.

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I just hope there are some speed improvements. Ive recently started timing my vista startups and realised how slow they were. 2 mins to get into windows, 2 mins to get everything started but theres still loads of random disc activity.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Yep, vista gives alot of random disk activity, on every machine I've tried vista is the same with this.

I think its mainly to do with vistas so-called indexing.

19. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Hi CSJ, I have not used SP1 yet. I have been using Vista HP since it was released to the retail market. I have had no problems at all and like it. Firstly, I don't know what people mean by speed or it's not as fast as XP, I guess the term is relative. Secondly, you are correct in your assessment of the disk drive activity. I disabled the search indexing and superfetch (I don't consider this a problem). My comp is now very quiet and the disabled features didn't mean anything to me. I guess it will always be the perpetual argument of which OP system is better, which A/V, which F/W etc., etc.

20. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Still sucks for gaming.

21. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I disagree Brian.

22. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I honestly wonder, what are people allways talking about, because I notice that only about 1% of the time, if at all, I guess, that at my PC it is caused by a disk defrag or other scheduled process. Maybe this strange disk activity is caused by people using some realtime software like AV, which causes it somehow. My CPU is ussually at 0-4% (4% due to taskmanager, so no background activity) and RAM usage is 350 MB and more. I have no extra services disabled, just the ussual junk.

23. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

My experience has been: Out of the box there is constant disk activity o_O .....some of that would be indexing.

Turned off all the OS stuff i had no need of.

Disk activity came to a screaming major slow down.

Indexing is enabled.

24. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yup, and superfetch. It is safe and harmless to turn them off, unless you like the search function in Vista. Personally I havent used it, I always turn off indexing, but superfetch does absolutely nothing for my computer performance - except 10 minutes of hard core drive grinding on every reboot. It´s so useless I even forgot what it was suppossed to do :)

I am very sensitive against noice from hard drive activity (I have a open box so I hear every read and write)
    After turning off superfetch all I hear is the low buzzing sound from the CPU fan unless I am doing something normal that requires valid hard drive activity (like downloading something fast, copying files, upacking/packing and so on)

25. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I find it does speed up load times...it really only kicks in at bootup, so go to Sleep or Hibernate when your done w/ your work.....btw, a reboot once a week or so is good to keep things moving along as they should.

In my case, i have Superfetch turned on and only hear the soft hum of my CPU fan & GPU fan.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.