Vista problems..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hotcarver1, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotcarver1

hotcarver1 Registered Member

Hi everyone..I would like to ask for your help..Yesterday i installed windows vista home premium 32bit..Just like in windows xp in installed all the drivers,the progams and of course my favourite back up program,true image 10(v4.942).I bulid an acronis secure zone 20gb capacity to make an image of my entire os in there.Just like windows xp i make the backup of my documents in an external hard drive with acronis true image.I do that cause i dont want to spend disc space(i got a notebook with 120gb hard drive.The creation of the secure zone,and the making of the image of my o/s in there is ok.I tested it and works perfect.However when i m trying to make a backup of my documents in the external hard drive my notebook shuts down!!!Every time i m trying to make this backup it starts and at about 25-40% it shuts down..The other broblem is that when im trying to create a rescue bootable cd i got an error message that the device is busyo_O!! E00040010: Device is busy. (0x40010) Tag = 0x8B7F8138EBD33EB3..And the other problem is that i cannot acronis start up recovery manager...Thats all..Any help would be useful..thanks in advance,and have a good day..

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Re: Vista prolems..

To make the Recovery cd, when you put the blank cd in the tray, leave the tray open and let the process close it. If this is not successful, instead of burnind the Recovery cd directly, make an .iso image of it then use your regular burning software to make the cd.

Keeping your backups in a SZ on your laptop drive is not recommended especially as you have an external drive. Do you know what will happen if your laptop drive dies, you will also lose your backup images.

There is no need to use the SRM nowadays. Just use the Recovery cd if you need to Restore a backup.

3. hotcarver1

Thanks for your reply..I make the backup of the o/s in the internal hard drive cause the external drive(usb) when i boot from acronis boot cd is not recognized by the windows..

4. DwnNdrty

What you need is the BartPE cd with the True Image plug-in incorporated into it. This will let TI see your usb drive. There is a whole thread devoted to making this CD.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. hotcarver1

Thanks again for your replies..but as i saw it supports win xp..i run windows vista.isn't that a problem?and what about that my notebook shuts down every time im truing to make a back up of my documents?

7. DwnNdrty

I don't use Vista, but I would imagine that since TI is running Linux from the boot CD and since it does a sector backup, it shouldn't care what is in those sectors, whether XP or Vista. But I could be wrong on that.

I prefer not to use TI to backup My Documents - there are other alternatives out there which leave the files and folders in their native format and if I need to compress them I use WinRar or the WinZip built into XP.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I always make the .iso file. and put a copy on each USB drive, as well as make several recovery CDs from the .iso on CD-R and CD-RW media, and I use Compare Drives Programs to compare the media with known good media to make sure I have several good recovery CDs.

9. hotcarver1

any idea why it6 shuts downo_Ocannot understand this..

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hotcarver1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please see this post for instructions
    Please be aware that Acronis Bootable Media uses Linux environment (full version).
    Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. BobJ

BobJ Registered Member

Hey Howard,

Two questions.

First, I assume your machine will boot off a USB Driveo_O Or do you just place the copies of your image there to store them
    and then if you need them copy them over to a CD for the restoration process??

Secondly, I'm wondering how many CD's it takes for you to make your image. From the way you phrased it ("make several
    recovery CDs from the .iso on CD-R and CD-RW media"), it sounds like maybe you just had to use a couple CD's for the image. But then maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The reason I ask is because I had "complained" on another post in this forum that it would take me well in excess of FOUR CD's to make my image (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174393). I aborted the process after I ran out of CD's (I only had four blanks on hand at the time). And I only have a 20GB HDD to image.

Dwn had explained to me that I really shouldn't try to store the image to optical media because that would be too tedious and lengthy. He suggested I get another HDD and store the image there. I'm thinking about that, but when I read posts like yours, it sounds like maybe I'm doing something wrong (or else I'm confused, which is very likely).

And Dwn also suggested that if I persisted in my effort to copy an image to optical media, that I make a copy to my HDD first, and then use my burning software to make an ISO copy on CD. That sounds like what you do.

One more thing. You said you used CD-RW's. Why?? Those things are notoriously unreliable. No wonder you run the Compare Drives program. Seriously, why do you use them?? I'm not attacking you're reasoning, I'm just curious because I've had several bad experiences with them and lost some data from a corrupted CD-RW. Maybe I need to reconsider . . .(see my post about them at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174393, last couple of paragraphs in my original post)

12. hotcarver1

Hi again.Thanks for the reply acronis support...I did what you told me,installed the drivers rebooted the system and...the same problem.When im trying to backup my documents the laptop shuts down after 5-10 min..What should i do?thanks in advance...

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

It sounds like your laptop is overhating if it just shuts down suddenly.

14. hotcarver1

What can i do about that?what is overheating the cpu or the hard drive?Any suggestions??

15. DwnNdrty

Check the underside where the fan vent is. Usually you can remove a cover from over the fan and clean it.

16. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Download an install Speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php so you can monitor your CPU and HD temps. This will give you an idea if overheating is the problem.

17. BobJ

BobJ Registered Member

If overheating is your problem, and it sounds like maybe it's a good candidate, then a shot of compressed air into your fan vents may help clean out dust from the space that may be covering your cooling devices and making them less efficient. The shot of compressed air would work especially good if you have two vents, one on the back of the notebook and one on the side immediately adjacent to the one on the back.

I don't know what brand your book is, but some HP's (like mine) have that configuration of vents. That configuration lends itself to the shot of compressed air because the air will actually go through the space, in one vent and out the other. If you only have one vent, then the shot of compressed air is a little bit risky because it could actually drive a clump of dust further into the space.

If you just have one vent, then you might visit your manufacturer's/assembler's web site and see if you can find a discussion forum (HP has a good one) BEFORE you try the compressed air thing. Sometimes you'll be able to find users of your brand that have suffered the same problem and know of a fix- search on "overheating".

If you had a box it would be easy to open it up and clean out the fan area. But laptops/notebooks are harder because it's difficult to get in the case - sometimes next to impossible. I wouldn't recommend cracking the case of a notebook UNLESS you are a very experienced hardware kinda' guy. And another consideration on cracking the case: If the machine is still under warranty then if you crack the case, you will void the warranty. But if it's no longer under warranty, then cracking the case won't carry that problem with it. Still, I would NOT recommend cracking the case UNLESS, as I've said, you are an experienced hardware person. If you really want to crack the case and see if the cooling area has a lot of dust and debris in it (which WILL happen eventually if you don't clean it out regularly), you might see if there is someone you know or is on your neighborhood that knows how to do this.

Laptops/Notebooks are notorious for overheating, mainly because they don't have the air circulating room that boxes have.

Another cause of overheating can be the processor type. Celerons and AMD's in laptops are notorious for that because they run hot anyway. Celerons and AMD's in boxes perform better because they get cooled better, but in Laptops/Notebooks they frequently overheat.

Now Celerons and AMD machines are cheaper than Intel machines, and many Laptop/Notebook buyers think it is a good deal. If a box has a Celeron or AMD, it IS a good deal, but if a Laptop/Notebook is equipped with those brand of Processors, it isn't necessarily such a good deal UNLESS you know that your getting yourself into an overheating risk. If you know what your getting (and, Yes, they're a lot cheaper), you can at least perform more cleanings to reduce the risk.

For example, I HAVE an AMD in my laptop (see my signature), it was cheaper, but I knew ahead of time that I would have to keep the thing EXTRA clean in the cooling area (I use the shot of compressed air thing).

Coupla' questions for you:

1) Does your fan come on a lot??

2) Is it noisy or seems to vibrate more than usual??

3) What brand of machine do you have??

3) Do you have a Celeron or AMD processor??

4) Have you ever cleaned out the cooling area??

5) How old is the machine??

6) Have you ever run a test on the physical surfaces of your HDD??

7) Does your HDD seem to spin a lot (is that light flashing all the time)??

I may have given this lecture for naught, because overheating may not be your problem. But when a machine shuts down abruptly, that's a strong sign that it's overheating.

The speedfan utility is a good one (and it's FREE, which makes it really good). Another one that's good to see what your hardware is (it's NOT a fan utility, but rather an "info" utility) is PCWizard at http://www.cpuid.org/pcw.

Also, the speedfan utility will allow you to see S.M.A.R.T. info and you'll be able to see if your HDD is at risk of failing soon.

18. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Some HPs actually had a problem with overheating -- something to do with the battery. We had to send some in for service that typically ran very hot and they came running cool. I don't think there was a recall. HP jsut waits for folks to complain and then send in their unit for repair.

19. hotcarver1

hello guys and thanks for you replies.I downoaded speed fan..look what it says ..I m about at 18% of the backup procedure and the readinfgs are temp1: 37 hd:40 core:98.. is that bado_Oo_O?
    The details you ask is:AMD tl-56(x2) 1.8ghz ,120gb wd,2gb ram..
    Never cleaned that and its about 4 months old..one fan..whats the solution ??
    i now placed the notebook in a better surface to provide more fresh air,the procedure is about 43% and still working!!!!maybe its the overheatingo_O

20. hotcarver1

Nice the procedure of backup is at 70% and the notebook didnt shut down yet..I paced it in a better vented area and the radings of speedfan is hd:48 temp:37 core:85 is it ok?what this values should be?

21. hotcarver1

THANKS!!!!That was it..the overheating problem..After i placed the notebook at a better vented area the readings of speedfan decreased and run at about 50 for the hard disc and 85-88 for the core but i believe that is high enough.no??hhow can i decrease the temp more?why i didnt have these problems with windows xp?can i adjust the speed of the fan?Thanks all for your help..

22. DwnNdrty

Looks like it's time to invest in a powered cooling pad like the Targus types - usually cost $15 to $20 in the USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.