Vista plus TI 10 not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WigglyTheGreat, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I have been using True Image 9 for a number of months with no problems ever making and restoring backups. I just installed Vista Home Premium on my laptop and purchased and installed True Image 10. I got it installed and made a backup to my external 500gb western digital my book drive. There is about 31 gb's on my laptop drive total and over 400gb of free drive space left on my external usb drive. The full backup seemed to finish ok, but when verifying the image I get ERROR E00070020: The archive is corrupted. I tried making more backups and each time the archive comes out corrupted. Is there a trick to getting True Image to work on Vista because it has always worked when I was running XP? I tried disabling the antivirus and firewall and antispyware before making the backup, but that has no bearing on it as it still comes up corrupted. This is shattering my confidence in True Image because I have always felt it to be rock solid backup software. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you using all the same hardware with Vista and TI10 that you used with XP and TI9? Any other changes other than Vista and TI10?

3. WigglyTheGreat

Thanks for the reply seekforever. I will try doing a backup to a different external drive and see if it works. I just bought the WD 500 gb drive a week or so ago and haven't made backups with the Compaq laptop on it yet. Previously when I had winxp on my Compaq laptop I used a different external hard drive to back up to. Basically it was an 80 gb drive in an external hard drive enclosure and that always worked successfully. I have however transferred large files from the Compaq laptop to the 500gb drive successfully.

I have a different computer, a Dell XPS desktop with WinXP installed and I just successfully made a True Image backup to the 500gb drive so I think that the drive is capable of working with true image.

4. WigglyTheGreat

Well I tried backing up to my maxtor 80 gb hard drive which is in an external usb enclosure and it completed the backup and it also validated it in windows ok. I am currently validating the image with a bootable acronis rescue disc to see if it passes. I think it will. Is there any reason why my Western Digital 500gb drive would not work with Acronis True Image 10 on my laptop with Vista, yet work with on my Dell system with WinXP on that same drive? I'm just disappointed because the 500gb is a faster drive so it will take me longer to backup and restore to the old 80gb drive. Well at least I have a way to backup the laptop for now anyway so I feel a bit better, but still would like to figure out why this is happening.

5. GreenWing

GreenWing Registered Member

Any response from Acronis on this issue...I also upgraded from TI-9 to TI-10 because of upgrading win XP/MCE to Vista Ultimate...I do nightly scheduled backups to an internal hard drive...TI logs do not indicate any errors, but when I try to validate the image I receive the same error (E00070020: The archive is corrupted)...I can explore and mount the images also...

I did some testing and it appears this only happens for my C: (where vista is installed) drive...I can backup other hard drives and I do not get the error...

GreenWing

6. seekforever

The drive itself may be rated faster but if they are both being accessed via a USB2 interface it doesn't matter. The data rate of the USB system will throttle out any differences in disk speeds. IDE drives are capable of outrunning a USB or Firewire interface. The theoretical maximum data-rate for USB2 is 480 Mbps or 60Megabytes/s.

7. seekforever

The symptoms as you describe them seem a bit strange but I would begin where I begin at any of these problems, ie, do a basic hardware check regardless of past performance and regular operations being OK.

Do a chkdsk X: /r on ALL partitions, including the external drives. Substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X. A reboot will be required to do C.

Run memtest86+, version 1.70 available free from www.memtest.org (note the version number). Preferably let it run overnight. Your hardware has to be 100% solid for TI to operate properly.

The above may show no errors which won't solve the problem but at least you can have some confidence that isn't the problem.

8. GreenWing

GreenWing Registered Member

Ran memtest86+ (1.70) for an hour or so this morning without errors...

I just installed the updates for TI-10 that became available today...Trying a new backup now...

Updated: Just ran the backup with today's TI-10 updates and get the same thing...Doing checkdisk now...
    Canceled the checkdisk because vista progress bar wasn't moving so i could not tell if it had locked up or what...Instead, I booted up the seagate utilities and did a several hour long full system test on the drive...All is OK with the hardware as best I can tell...

Updated: 02/17/2007: OK...I have about exhausted all possibilities...I just changed out my seagate drive with an identical drive that I had been using in a USB enclosure...ACRONIS TI will just not back and validate my VISTA operating system drive to the Seagate 400gb drive...

Like WigglyTheGreat's issue, I can validate the backup if it is to a different drive...BUT...When I create the backup on my designated internal seagate 400gb drive it will not validate...

GreenWing

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WigglyTheGreat and GreenWing,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please try copying the image to another drive and validating it again.
    Please also try performing the validation procedure using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.
    If the image validates correctly, then it is consistent.

Please notice that the issue you encountered most likely is caused by poor data transfers between the system and the drive in question. You can check that by doing the following:

- Download the eXpress CheckSum Calculator;
    - Use the utility to calculate a MD5 checksum for an image that validates correctly;
    - Copy/move the image to the drive in question and calculate MD5 checksum again;
    Those two checksums must be identical. If they are different, then the data transfer routes are corrupted somewhere (it may be memory, drive cables, or any other hardware/operating system component participating in data transfers).

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the hard drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.