Vista - Icon and Initialization (UAC Pop-Up) Problems

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MoneyAddyct, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyAddyct

MoneyAddyct Registered Member

Hello. I just purchased a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm having some issues with Spyware Blaster 3.5.1. First of all, it installed properly; however, instead of spywareblaster.exe having the usual icon, it has just a blank icon (the white one that Windows uses when it doesn't recognize what is supposed to be there.) And secondly, whenever I click on the installed spywareblaster.exe I get a User Account Control pop-up asking me if I want cancel or allow spywareblaster.exe to run. It seems as though Windows isn't recognizing that it's installed or that it's run before. I've tried rebooting and reinstalling but it keeps doing it. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. MoneyAddyct

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I went to the does it work on vista web site and checked:

Try this version of the link

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List

# Javacool Software SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 (32-bit/64-bit) so it is listed as supposed to work.

My understanding is limited on vista, but as I gather it is security "crazy" and it's default FW will asks if you want to run all programs first time they runs on vista. Tell it yes! allow it to run and remember the rule if that option is offered.

Failing that ask M$ or Javacool !

Good luck!

4. MoneyAddyct

The link didn't work.

Also, I disabled UAC and now Spywareblaster will run without any problems; however, the icon still isn't being displayed right. Why do you think that is?
    By the way, if I right-click on the icon and select properties, it displays the correct icon, but when I'm looking at the icon on my desktop it's blank.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

With UAC enabled, you will need to click "allow" on the UAC prompt to allow SpywareBlaster to run. (Windows doesn't provide the ability to "remember" your choice, so you'll have to click "allow" on every run. Luckily, this is generally a minor inconvenience - especially because SpywareBlaster only needs to be run when you check for updates and apply the latest protection. :cool: )

I'm not entirely sure why you're seeing a blank icon - I can't recall hearing of that problem before. But if the program seems to be working fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. :) (There's a chance it's related to an old Windows problem where the desktop icons would become corrupted - there was a program called TweakUI that could rebuild the desktop icon cache, but I don't believe there's a version available for Vista yet.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Gren

Gren Registered Member

There is a Vista version - TweakVI - there's a free version and an enhanced, paid for version.

As said above, don't worry about the prompts - that's just how Vista works. Even if you use an account with admin priveleges you haven't really got full admin rights so every time you need to run an application in admin mode you are asked if you really want to. If you don't mind all the prompts it is added security, if you don't like it switch it off. I thinks its in the security centre within the control panel.

8. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I just reformatted my PC in a futile attempt to resolve problems I've been experiencing with FirstDefense-ISR and Vista. When I reinstalled SpywareBlaster, the desktop icon was "blank" so to speak. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program a few times with the same result. On a hunch, I turned off Kaspersky Internet Security v7 then installed SpywareBlaster and a normal desktop icon was created. Perhaps it was just a coincidence or perhaps the Proactive Defense module in KIS was causing a conflict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.