Vista Home Premium 64-bit Suites/Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Coolio10, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I now have vista home premium 64-bit and looking for suites or single av/firewalls that work on this OS. Preferably ones with no missing features (e.g. norton and kaspersky).

Using KIS 8 right now but even with quad core and 4gbs of ram it slows the opening of installers by many seconds and sometimes browsing speed.

So as i said before Suites or Combinations of products are fine as long as they work on this OS.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

The built in firewall works best but if you want a true x64 one, Comodo is the only one that works under true x64 mode. For AV, Avast and Avira work fine under x64.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Look´n´Stop is true 64bit firewall. Rising Firewall works in Vista 64 too (even though it isnt genuine 64bit).

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I am running avast! Pro on mine now. The only difference from the 32 bit version I have noticed is no boot scan. Otherwise it has been trouble-free in operation.

However it is not a true 64 bit application (see pic)

Right now I am using Windows Firewall with my NAT router.

Attached Files:

5. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Coolio, I agree with your concerns about things being missing, but remember that not everything missing is a vendor issue (or even necessarily a bad thing) with Vista 64. Some functionality - no matter the vendor - wont work against the 64 bit kernel. Products that aren't missing anything probably didn't have that type of functionality for XP.

As with anything, go with what makes YOU comfortable, but I wanted to point this out as pretty much all of the products I've seen have differences between Vista 32 and 64.

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I use Outpost Pro Firewall with Vista x64, and it works fine. There is a separate download for the 64-bit version.

7. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

Windows Live OneCare is the solution with native 64Bit - service for firewall and av-scanner.

Attached Files:

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i've been tlking to ALWIL guys and they said there wasn't any real benefit from going native 64bit. Kernel drivers are 64bit because thats a requirement, but software on top of it can be 32bit. And i don't seem to have any problems with it, either stability or performance wise.

9. gery

gery Registered Member

Trend Micro i think has an installer for 64

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Except you're running via WOW64, which means double the memory usage and possibly slight scan speed decreases due to overhead of the emulation layer (unlikely though).

Double the memory usage for a 32-bit application running in 64-bit Windows is itself a big enough reason to make applications natively 64-bit IMO. But its no issue if you have truckloads of RAM :)

AVG Internet Security works with Vista x64. I have not tried it out however so I cannot comment on any specifics of whether it runs in native 64-bit mode or 32-bit mode.

11. entropism

entropism Registered Member

AVG is 32 bit. And lets be honest here... You're not going to be running Vista x64 without 4GB of ram, so doubling the ram on something like Avira, for instance... 9MB on my system, so 4.5MB on x86? Not a huge deal to say the least...

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I doubt doubling ram is an issue these days. I have 4 gigs ram on Vista x64, and I could care less if my AV uses 20mb, 50mb, 100mb or even 200mb, as long as performance is good and it does it's job.

13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

That is what RAM is there for :D

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

:thumb:

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

With 6GB of RAM i really couldn't care less about memory usage...
    And even if the memory usage is doubled, Windows report 37MB for all processes. Thats nothing. I've been using 64bit Vista with 2GB of RAM for some time before i added extra 4GB.

16. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Double the memory usage? Why?

I don't see the point.:shifty:

Cheers
    Vlk

17. Arup

Arup Guest

I run Avira on one x64 PC and Avast on other, none of them are consuming double the memory as compared to the x32 version.

18. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Webroot's SpySweeper 6.0 range is now Vista x64 compatible. May be you could check it out.
    It does come with some 0-day protection. Plus it uses Sophos AV scanner, so not bad.

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I'm not 100% sure about it but I assume this article is correct:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-xp-x64,1104.html

And while it only described Windows XP 64-bit, I would think that the situation is applicable to Vista too as both use similar WOW64 technology:

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ah, Tom's Hardware... i wouldn't trust all they say.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

As far as I can tell after running x64 OS since its inception as XPx64 beta, the memory use is far more efficient than its x32 counterpart. It uses the 4GB efficiently than x32 would for 2GB.

22. vlk

vlk AV Expert

They can't be serious. This is definitely not the case.

In fact, for many reasons, running 32-bit apps under 64-bit Windows will deliver better performance than running them under 32-bit OS (this applies especially to memory-hungry apps).

And the memory consumption is more or less the same (plus minus the overhead of the WOW64, which is negligible).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.