Vista Firewall Enough???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ed_H, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've read this too. I know the POC has been demonstrated, but how true is it in the wild that malware can bypass the outbound control of the firewall? I expect there is a lot of malicious code out there that doesn't know how to do this and would be caught when attempting an outbound connection. My point is I think it' still useful even though it is necessary to take other precautions as well.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am MORE concerned with privacy as I have not had any malware on my machine and I have a pretty good set-up as far as I am concerned (high speed modem-firewall, NOD32, SAS Pro, Vista w/ IE7 in protected mode and FF and a few others things).

I just hate it when I have a program I use that makes outbound connections without my permission. MS is notorious about it and so is Dell. I want a program I can use to stop unauthorized outbound attempts. Malware is not the problem- it's all these "legit" programs that phone home.

3. 337

337 Registered Member

One question I have is, how are intrusion attempts handled with Vista's firewall? Example: Zone alarm will periodically pop up saying an intrusion attempt was blocked! o_O

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Can't help there. I have never seen any firewall pop up with an intrusion alert since I have been behind a router (at least 2 years)! Before that I used to get them all the time with Zone Alarm and others. The router obviously takes care of the blocking.

5. 337

337 Registered Member

At home I am behind a wireless router and it is behind an alpha shield---no pop ups either. On the road I have a EVDO modem and will occasionally get a few. Just wondering if VF blocks these silently?

6. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

Are the ports steath with Vista Firewall or with VF + Vista Firewall Control (free)?

7. 337

337 Registered Member

I have ran GRC shields up against Vista firewall and it was a totally stealthed! Never tried the Firewall control app. :cool:

8. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

As a 'good' firewall, yes! As others already pointed out you need to set outbound protection but it takes a long time.

This is also helpful as an addition to your Vista firewall. The router will protect your network provided it has NAT/SPI firewall enabled.

As long as the wireless networks your laptop often 'see' are protected and do not allow you to use them. Otherwise you have decent AVs. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.