Vista Firewall Enough???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ed_H, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have to admit I am a bit confused here. I have been using Comodo 3 with Vista Home Premium. The last Comodo update seemed to leave my PC a little unstable so I decided to just go back to the Vista firewall. Definitely more stable and responsive now with the Vista FW. Is this secure enough or do I need something else? I am behind a router at home but my laptop does sometimes wind up on other wireless networks.

I am also using DefenseWall and alternate between NOD32 and Avira Premium.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You're fine with Vista's firewall.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The people at comodo would tell you no, the windows firewall is not enough. I was just over at their forum reading through a similar thread. You should check it out as it has some useful information.

4. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Actually I never understood how the Vista firewall worked. It created rules by its own without ever asking me about anything.

There is a way though to fully configure it, but I don't think it is worth it when you can do the job much easier and faster with a firewall like Comodo or some other.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That can't be, unless someone went into your account and created their own rules?? AFAIK, Vista fw blocks incoming by default and allows outgoing by default, except for some service restrictions where certain services are bound to pre-defined ports, enforced by the built-in policy.

It's no doubt faster to use a 3rd party fw for configuring custom rules, but Vista's fw will not have a negative impact on performance, nor will it conflict with other applications in a given environment.

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Vista firewall is fine. If you're worried about lack of outbound control, just run Vista Firewall Control, it's free, light, and works well.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Endorse that, besure you run Limited User full or at least in quiet mode (use freebie TweakUAC), but never off.

8. 337

337 Registered Member

It seems to me that inbound protection against different attack vectors has not been fully proven on any firewall as far as my endeavors have went anyway. I feel like Vista's firewall is good, but it will also be the biggest target for hackers and malware writers as most people will not pay for something that is included in the OS. So far Zone alarm has given me the best "sense" of security on Vista. YMMV. :thumb:

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

If vista has a 1 way firewall, I would use something else for a 2-way, if it is 2-way, I would take some more confidence, but still use something else.
    I have the tiniest feeling hackers would target windows firewall...

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I was going to try Vista Firewall Control but I am unable to install. I am installing from an admin account. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

11. computer geek

I would suggest trying it again in safemode
    CG

12. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Not sure what the problem is, I've installed it several times without issue (with both NOD32 and Avira). You did do a complete uninstall of Comodo (maybe check if others have had any difficulties uninstalling Comodo) and don't have any other firewalls running (besides Vista's firewall)?

I think something else is interfering (perhaps other security software).

One other option is to right-click the installer's executable and select "run as administrator" (I've never needed to do this but each system is different).

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

You're fine with the Vista firewall as long as you have a good antivirus software.

14. 337

337 Registered Member

Will an antivirus stop a hacker? Will any firewall stop a hacker for that matter? :ninja:

15. computer geek

An AV/AS will stop trojans and backdoors, (well, the ones it knows and some by heuristics) so in some sense, yes.

16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I must have had a corrupt download. Re-downloaded and it installed fine. Thanks

17. 337

337 Registered Member

Agreed "some sense"... I am just paranoid at times is all!!:doubt:

18. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

you are never enough even if you have 4 or 5 firewall, because if a excellent hacker want's to hack your PC he will do it even with firewall.
    What you mean is am i enough protected against other things with the firewall? !

19. 337

337 Registered Member

So then other than outbound control, Vista's firewall is good enough... Can't keep hackers out anyways.:thumb:

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The main function of a firewall is proactive security against known and unknown vulnerabilities in system services which happen to listen for incoming connections (NetBIOS, RPC, etc)
    The second function of a firewall is to enforce a strict network access policy. I.e. your mail client should only connect to your mail servers over mail protocols (SMTP/SMTPs, POP3/POP3s, IMAP/IMAPs)

21. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using Vista Firewall Control (Free) for just a few hours but it doesn't get much simpler than this. No glitches so far and my laptop continues to be more stable (and faster) without Comodo v3.

Are there any significant advantages to using the paid version of Vista Firewall Control?

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not sure, maybe I should try this as they sent me a free full version license for posting about their product over at slickdeals.net. Does anyone know how setting up the Vista firewall with Vista Firewall Control paid version compares with a firewall such as Comodo or Online Armor as far as detecting leaks go?

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Vista FireWall Control and Vista LUA together withstand most leaktests except four, there was a test placed on a vista64 box on wilders

Paid gives you 'zone management' allowing access of programs in different zones (same as IE7 offers, only application based in stead of webpage based).

When CFP/D+ is to difficult I should stay with the free version.

24. computer geek

However, it is better having one then not, since it will offer better protection then nothing.
    I was hacked once, and I noticed it WHEN he was hacking me, so I took the plug out, thats the best protection when your being hacked! :D

25. Diver

Diver Registered Member

By design any program that is given administrative priviledges (usually via the UAC prompt during installation) may make new rules for the vista firewall. However, any program given administrative privileges could install a driver that bypasses nearly any third party firewall.

Outbound protection is for privacy, not malware detection. The whole leak test thing is one big diversion and a waste of time.

The Vista firewall can be set up to provide outbound filtering, but it is a task for experts because it blocks silently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.