vista file restore won't go in the right spot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sy5tem, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sy5tem

sy5tem Registered Member

ok i installed vista on the C drive , made a backup of the file , now i re-installed vista in dual boot, its on D drive , i want to restore all the file in the backup on top of the file where i installed vista on d to have a dual boot,

now my problem is: i select the backup then i select selective file backup, tell true image 10 to put it in the root of D and replace all the file, it goes on , then when i reboot i find all the files on d:\Drive(C)

how can i force true image 10 to put those file on top of the d:\ (root) and not inside the Drive(C) folder ?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You need to make image backups of a boot partition. You are making file/folder backups. Those will never be bootable.

If you are only trying to restore data files (in My Documents for example), restore them to the original locations.

3. sy5tem

sy5tem Registered Member

hi,

i am trying to replace the folder \windows , \users\ and all other \* folder without replacing any file in the root directory in fact, becose i got a backup of windows vista with all the HP software "restore cd" i cannot hafve this restore cd in dual boot "when installed it kill every partition"

so i ad to install windows xp , i replaced all the files then with my xp backup this worked my software was still there as if i never formated and re-installed xp on c:

now i also installed vista in dual boot, and i want to replace the directory with the one in my backup, thats why i want to replace the file with a directory backup instead of a complete restore with the root file, so when i restore the backup and replace the windows file and keep the permission on them vista will have all the software i ad in the hp restore but now in dual boot with xp

but like i said when i do that it will make a directory called Drive(C) instead of replacing the directory \windows \user e.t.c

4. sy5tem

sy5tem Registered Member

so in big you are telling me that a backup made on C: cannot be restored on D:\ ?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello sy5tem,

What you see is normal when restoring a Files and Folders image to a different location. It prevents inadvertenty overwriting existing files that may already be there.

Suggest you boot to the DOS Command prompt, navigate to the C:\Drive(C) directory (cd c:\drive(c)) and copy all files and folders in D:\Drive(C) to D:\ via the following command and switches

xcopy *.* d:\ /h /r /s (note the spaces between xcopy, *.*, d:\, /h, /r and /s)

If successful, and you are able to reboot into Windows Vista, delete the C:\Drive(C) folder.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.