Vista File Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Toby75, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Can anyone recommend any programs (non-sandbox type) that will protect files in Vista from deletion/encryption?

I came across this...anyone heard of it?

http://www.system-protect.com/

Thanks,
    Toby

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

3. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

toby:D look at this one:)

http://torchsoft.com/

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Toby, that program you mentioned I've used briefly, and it does as advertised. But you'll have a lot of alerts if you 'guard' the windows folder.

I'd recommend ThreatFire if you're concerned about system files being deleted. Found it provides an alert straight away if another program is 'copying itself to another location', or 'attempting to modify an important system file' etc.

Goes in and out of flavour here, but overall, it's protection is rock-solid. Leave it as default, you don't have to change a thing (not one setting).

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I've used it long ago and don't expect it to have evolved that much - great in the way that your system files and such can't be modified in any way by malware, dunno if it works properly with different Windows Update methods by now (Automatic Updates, Microsoft Update, alternatives like custom sites for Firefox, etc.), cause it didn't initially, and caused trouble with some software that actually did access my system files (I suspect pretty many, and especially security software, simply has to do that). I would rather use a sandbox which is very easy to operate with. With GeSWall I can just use my web-browser (Opera - yes, not just IE and FF or something like that, it's completely software independent) like normal, then if I want to install something, I can often just click the "G"-button on the top of the current window and click the run non-isolated-option.

That means two clicks directly and I'm able to install some single software just like normal. Installing a dozen programs that you're sure of? Just run without isolation and you're ready to go. Hey, I'm testing/installing atleast one new piece of software everyday, and I think it's seamless.

You see, even if I've to do two clicks more, I'm practically safe from every new malware out there. I simply think it's pretty darn worth it.

GeSWall has a free version which you can customize all you want with rules here and there - you name it - and browsers, including Opera, are already pre-configured. You'll receive an initial prompt to trial/purchase the full version (and I'm sure I'll do that once I've money to spend on that stuff - long story short, now is not the time for me), which is disabled with a click on a checkbox. Completely free, no nag-windows, ultimate protection.

7. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Excellent. Thanks for the input!

Do either of you know if system-protect will protect files from being encrypted as well as from deletion?

Thanks again,
    Toby

8. raven211

The opposite can only be seen if you test it yourself, cause I don't feel the need to myself.

9. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

raven211....I see your post but on their site they mention protection from deletion only. It says nothing about protection from any type of modification. I may go ahead and test later on.

10. raven211

Now I get what you mean. :) Well, what I posted was from personal experience with the software - not considering their description. ;) Atleast what I wrote was what I recalled, and most things I'm pretty sure about.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Toby75, can you kindly elaborate upon the operational goal/objective (rather than the result) that you are attempting to achieve? That clarification might spark additional ideas from members of the forum community. For example, have you considered Windows SteadyState?

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Quote from the FAQ section:

"Protection of Selected Files

System Protect allows you to pick files and folders that you want to protect from deletion such as important documents, your favorite music, photos from your vacation, movies or any other files that you do not want to lose.

System Protect prevents not only deletion of system and selected files, but also their renaming, moving to another folder or another modification.

When someone or something attempts to change/modify the system or selected files, System Protect displays a warning or automatically blocks this change/modification depending on your protection settings."

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Then you wil not find any such software. Believe me. I know how this idea strike to your mind.
    HIPS can do it but you will become mad with the no of pop ups you will get to achieve this goal.

14. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

And there's my answer...Thank You. Can you provide a link where you found this? I can't seem to find it under the FAQ.

15. andyman35

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

17. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I am just wanting to test malware like the one found in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=248427

I'm looking to test more of this type and would like the setup that would protect me. I'm not looking for a sandbox type program.

18. andyman35

It's made me take another look at it too,if you decide to try it let us know how it performs please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.