Vista Business, Outlook 2007, emon.dll

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by quicko, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicko

quicko Registered Member

The scenario:
    - clean install of Windows Vista Business
    - clean install of Office 2007 SBE (Outlook 2007 + Business Contact Manager)
    - clean install of NOD32 v. 2.70.39
    - outlook 2007 connected to an Exchanger Server 2003 SP1
    - imported pst file from old pc with Outlook 2000
    - rebooted the o.s.
    - opened outlook
    - Outlook reports problem with emon.dll

Followed this suggestion, but the problem still remain:
    - uninstall NOD32 and reboot the pc
    - with MS Outlook closed, delete extend.dat in %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    - run regedit and make sure EMON does not appear in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
    - run MS Outlook to make sure the error does not appear
    - install NOD32

Any idea?
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. Leginlegin

Leginlegin Registered Member

Yes I got almost same problem. I guess many others have too. Would be great if someone could tell us the solution.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

4. quicko

quicko Registered Member

We will contact Eset submitting the problem (although I think that this is a sort of "known bug").

Someone from the italian Eset support suggested me what follows:
    - uninstall NOD32
    - delete the folder "ESET" from "Program Files" folder
    - install NOD32 in Advanced Mode without enabling EMON
    - update definition
    - enable EMON
    - open Outlook 2007

Even if the guy of the support team didn't told me to do it, I also suggest to:
    - with MS Outlook closed, delete extend.dat in %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    - run regedit and make sure EMON does not appear in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
    - run MS Outlook to make sure the error does not appear
    before installing NOD32 in Advanced Mode.

It seems like it does work.

Good night and good luck.

5. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Using Vista Business 64-bit with NOD 32 and Outlook 2007 without any issues. I will keep an eye on the performance of my system though. o_O

6. pmcj

pmcj Registered Member

Running xp media, comodo firewall

getting the emon add-in error for outlook even after emon was disabled.

Looking for a solution.....

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

8. quicko

quicko Registered Member

All done but the problem is still unsolved

9. pmcj

pmcj Registered Member

This is what I got back from Tech support. As a new NOD user I am very disappointed. office not supported.

I will check it out hi-tech thanks.

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,
    Please click on the NOD32 icon down to the right by the system clock.

The Control Center will open.

In the window, click EMON.

In the Window that opens to the right click "Quit".

Click "Yes" to the question.

* Reboot the machine *

Outlook 2007 is not currently supported and is using a different communication method; therefore it is safe to disable it.

Thank you

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use XP SP2 with MS Office 2007 (Outlook) with absolutely no issue with EMON . Word and Excell do work with DMON (NOD32 2.7) even though they act a little bit differently

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Office is supported...I have literally hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of NOD installs on various versions of Office.

If any problems are encountered with Office components such as Outlook..it's often leftover prior antivirus plugins which were not fully removed, or...Office was not updated with Office service packs from office.microsoft.com

I have a few workstations with Vista Business Edition, Outlook 2007..and no issues.

12. pmcj

pmcj Registered Member

While I do not doubt that people are running it without a problem, obviously from this post and others posts many people are having a problem.

The outlook 2007 is not supported line was not an opinion, it was a quote from tech support.

If tech support can not be counted on to provide a definitive answer on this issue - what is the next step?

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi pmcj !

Well , we should not consider that NOD32 2.7 and Office 2007 are problematic applications . People all over the world have always had some problems and they will continue having . That's world . Many is too ... unknown . You say many because you see many here but you don't see all those that do not have problems . Just humans nowadays say "thank you" less . Reality is that people won't come here to say "Yeah , what a great program" but will come to "fight" and bold the minuses only . However , considering all + and - we must say that NOD32 and Office do work no matter how many complain , people will always complain - today is Outlook 2007 , tomorrow is next Outlook version ... Hope you understand :)

I am sorry you have problems and think you tried the solutions offered (hopefully they help) and yes , the final one is to disable EMON but this doesn't make it incompatiable ... There might be many reasons for this to happen , I believe they can't be all investigated in forum environment

Regards :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

14. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

That's not very helpful at all. :thumbd:

15. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

emon.dll continuously has trouble with Outlook 2002. I was going to upgrade to Outlook 2007 but by the looks of it I would not be improving the situation at all.

ESET, how about a little update to fix this eh?

I am getting hit with worms and other crap and I don't find out until a week later when my weekly "FULL SCAN" is scheduled to find them. Not cool.

Please let me know what the status is with this situation.

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  16. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

Your reasoning is understandable, but flawed in that this is a SUPPORT FORUM, not a guestbook or a place to praise the great work that NOD32 does. SUPPORT FORUMS are meant for various things, and saying thank you is not at the top of the list, solving problems is close to number 1 I believe.

So please, I see that you either work for the company or love their product(s), and if you are an admin, I am sorry, but the above reply you made is ridiculous.

There are problems that must be solved. The developers should come to the rescue. Its not some underground email client we are talking about here. Its OUTLOOK for pete's sake, probably the most widespread email utility...

If the amount of people having this problem is not enough reason for NOD32 to be fixed I don't know then, you tell me what we need... ?

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If NOD were incompatible with Outlook...100% of the users out there would experience this issue. I haven't run across it in a loooong long time, I have many many installs without the issue. The one or two times I ran across it, as I mentioned above, and as the suggestions for others to try has fixed their issues...I'll repeat, perform the office updates at Microsofts Office update site, and in some cases where a prior AV product was installed, make sure all remnants are removed in the COM+ add-ins within Outlook.

18. Wireless_Man

Wireless_Man Registered Member

Hello, I am new to this forum, just registered. I began having the issues described here with NOD32 version 2.7 and Outlook 2007. I have been running NOD32 for over 3 years with no problem. My new system is XP Pro SP2 and it came with no anti-virus upon my request. I installed the NOD32 and have begun to have problems as sated in this post with Outlook 2007. I sent an e-mail support request to ESET and the reply I was sent was disappointing to say the least. It was a list of instructions which disabled EMON and said Outlook 2007 is not currently supported because it uses a different communications method, therefore it is safe to disable it.

Wow, no mention of when it would be supported or at least a line saying we are working on it. Just not supported and turn it off. Not even a mention of when considering a purchase of NOD32 that Outlook 2007 is not supported. Would be nice if someone would be up front and honest before you buy, not after the money is in hand. I still think NOD32 is an excellent product, but I may have to begin to question their support and business practices. I hope the problem will be rectified soon.

19. Wireless_Man

Wireless_Man Registered Member

Received the following updated reply from ESET support after asking if a fix was being worked on :

We apologize for the inconvenience. This is a known compatibility for some deployments of Office 2007, but the majority of customers using these products do not experience these symptoms.

A fix is being developed, but in the meantime the best way to handle it is to keep the EMON module disabled and rely on the AMON, the strengths of NOD32 and IMON modules to scan any files in your e-mail the moment they are created or accessed. You should not lose any reliability of protection with this setup.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
    ESET Customer Care

So, I apparently a fix is in the works and I may need to apologize. I will remain optimistic and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.