Vista - Bootable CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wjgray, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

I just know I am doing SOMETHING wrong... just don't know what.

Newbie to Acronis. So, I've created Bootable Rescue Media. It only allowed me to create this to an ISO. There was no option to burn directly to CD/DVD. So, how do I get that ISO to CD and ensure that the CD is bootable?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Use Nero or someother burning software. You will need to burn it as "image".

3. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

OK. Sorry, but I am new to this stuff. I apologize for being so much the neophyte. Perhaps I bought the wrong backup solution. Perhaps I didn't. Maybe somebody here can kinda talk me through this??

Perhaps a bit of context will help! ...

I was alerted that my brand new HP dv9000 HDD is about to blow (pixie error and then self test returns what HP support says is an emminent HDD failure).

So, I bought Acronis on a recommendation and created a disc image to my MV2020 (HPMedaiVault on network). I've also created daily incrementals using TI. All seems to be going REAL WELL with that.

HP sent me a replacement HDD and I am now trying to get to that.

I fired up Acronis to create a recovery disc and it creates an ISO.

Based on the what thomasjk said I went and got ImgBurn (cannot afford $80 for Nero) and tried to create a bootable CD. It burned the CD (filled it up) and moved the tiny ISO that Acronis created to it.

So, I think I have all the pieces now...

But... It didn't work. At boot the cursor blinks and blinks (and blinks some more) but never does anything at all. So, I then tried to burn a DVD. Same deal.

Does anyone have a pointer to a recipe that I can use that can show me the proper way to use Acronis to get from my dying soldire HDD to my crisp new one? I have HP's recovery discs, but it sure would be less painful to get to the new drive using the Acronis image that I have been managing.

I just KNOW that I am not doing something I should be ... or perhaps doing something I shouldn't be. What am I missing?

4. thomasjk

Did you set the BIOS in your machine to boot from CD?

5. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

Yes... It is set to look at CD before HDD. It must know that a CD is there because it seems to freeze when there is a bootable CD in and I have to power the laptop down and remove the cd to get it to boot.

Thanks for perservering with me!

6. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

When you were going through the disc creation process in Acronis, wasn't there a step where it asks you select a cd drive or select ISO?

7. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

The only option I had was to create an ISO. I kinda expected it to offer me the cd/dvd drive as well, but it did not.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the reason Acronis did not give the option to create the disc is because it did not recognize any cd burning software on your computer. Maybe you could download a Nero trial version and see if that lets Acronis do its thing.

Look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nero trial

9. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

Thanks to each of you! I figured out my error with support from the ImgBurn forum. I was able to create a bootable DVD. It starts Acronis (with a burp).

If you are interested, the burp is that after the splash screen then the "Loading" screen (the burnt orange and white one) displays. After a few seconds the message:

e1000: 05:00.0: e1000_probe: The EEPROM checksum is not valid.

appears. But, then the UI loads and I am able to move forward. Still not done though. It seems that NAS is not supported. Only the old (elongated USB technology) NDAS technology. So, I might be returning the software anyway <frown>.

Again, thanks for the help!

10. thomasjk

TI does the rescue CD burning it self. No other software should be need to create the bootable CD. It is more likely that his CD/DVD drive is not being recognized.

11. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

Maybe a Vista issue?

12. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Did you try the True Image CD that you made, on another computer?

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wjgray,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If at least one computer is visible in Computers near me on the Image Archive Selection screen, then try specifying the full UNC path to the desired NAS in the "File name" edit box, e.g. \\server\share.

If no computers are visible on the network, but the Computers near me icon is found under My Computer, then please ensure that a DHCP server is running on your network. If you don't use a DHCP server, then please ensure that network settings accessible via the Options item in the Tools menu are correct. You can find the detailed instructions in chapter 6.1.1 "Network settings in rescue mode" of the respective User's Guide.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media afrer updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Boot the computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, remove the "quiet" parameter and wait for # prompt to appear;
    - Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    asamba dhcp -n > asa_dhcp.txt
    asamba masters > asa_mast.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt, asa_dhcp.txt, asa_mast.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the network card you use.

Then answer to the autoreply with Acronis request number that was sent to you after you submitted the request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Regarding the issue of CD/DVD drive not appearing in the list (and updating doesn't help either), please follow instructions in this post. If the issue persists, please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post, and add it to your reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.