Vista - Black Screen on Boot

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by BickBarrer, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BickBarrer

BickBarrer Registered Member

Hi there, I have a Toshiba Satellite A200 and a week or two ago I encountered a frustrating problem. I've been trying to get help, but I thought I'd come here to see if there's anything else I can do. Here's what happened.

I had intended to shut down my laptop one night. The next afternoon, I found out it had not shut down. There was a message about a program still opened or something like that (not a big deal I thought as I had gotten it a few times before, just about a program not ending). I forgot what I clicked, probably 'close program' or whatever it was so that it would finally shut down and turn it back on then leave for a bit. I come back and I noticed there was a black screen and I could not do anything. I hold the power button to turn it off and restart it. It loads the Toshiba/Phoenix screen fine. Then I get to the Windows Recovery screen. It gives me two options.

- Repair any errors using Windows Recovery (something like that)
    - Start Windows normally

I tried the first option a few times but it said there was an unspecified problem due possibly to some hardware configurations (did not do anything before). I would start normally and at the loading screen, the bar would load but there is no Vista logo. After that, there's the black screen. I would restart, and get the screen with the 2 options again. However, I can get into Safe Mode perfectly fine.

What I think may have been the problem is that I had turned on Returnil's session lock during the session before shutting down that one night. Maybe that shutdown warning had to do with something? I had left Returnil on the previous day and shut off without any problems, and I did not download anything.

I couldn't locate these files:
    C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log

Attached are MSINFO32 and OTL logs.
    Note that in the OTL logs there are some weird suspicious looking (random numbers+malware-related words) files, but they have no function (probably from an old rogue AV my father installed, but they've been removed).

After logging in with Safe Mode, I also get this:
    When shutting down (the error message shows at the blue/green vista screen where it will say "Shutting down...")
    Not sure if that has to do with it.

Edit: 2008 Personal Edition: 2.0.1.9002

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello BickBarrer and welcome to the forums :)

You are using RVS 2008 so, log into Safe Mode and uninstall then try to enter normal windows following the required restart. Does this provide relief from the critical stop at start?

Mike

3. BickBarrer

Bah, nope.. I was kind of hoping the simple solution would work :doubt:

4. Coldmoon

Is the cache wipe active?

Main screen > Advanced > wipe change remnants?

If yes, deactivate that option and then try a shutdown/restart cycle and let me know if you still run into the issue.

Mike

5. BickBarrer

Is that using Returnil? If so, I uninstalled it :blink:

6. Coldmoon

I assumed that this meant you could not uninstall RVS 2008. If I was wrong, can we considered this case closed or are you still experiencing the black screen issue?

Mike

7. BickBarrer

Oh, sorry! Yes, I did uninstall it. I'm still having the issue.

8. Coldmoon

We should have a new build soon that should provide relief from this issue as well as add a new enhancement to the Virus Guard. So please keep an eye on the forums and site for the next release announcement.

Mike

9. BickBarrer

So what should I do when it comes out?

10. Coldmoon

1. Make a backup image just in case - this is not required, but is a good idea as a general issue recovery step on a regular basis.

2. Install the new RVS 2010 build and then deactivate the Virus Guard feature and check if the issue is resolved.

3. If #2 is true, try the VG (if wanted) and repeat stability verification on your specific system.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.