Vista: AVG AS doesn't work

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Biscuit, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

I've just upgraded one of my computers to Vista & found that AVG AS v7.5 doesn't work so I've had to uninstall it. Is this correct?

2. steveke

steveke Registered Member

3. Biscuit

Thank you for your reply.

However the Vista is a 32bit version.

4. Biscuit

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I feel sure that Grisoft will be releasing a Vista compatible AVG AS version in the near future. Many developers have yet to release Vista compatible versions of their software....the same thing happened when XP came out. Unfortunately, it takes a couple of months after an OS official release for many companies to "catch up". ;)

6. Biscuit

Except developers have had Vista since November?

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

It's a matter of resources and priorities. If you look at the AVG Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Malware software, you will see that they are now Vista compatible. So Grisoft has been working on making the products compatible. ;)

8. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

We're working on making AVG Anti-Spyware Vista-Compatible too.

I am sorry for the delay :(

Regards,
    Vinzenz

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Now this is a strange situation. If AVG Anti-Malware works 100% on Vista, then Grisoft has probably adapted the AntiSpyware engine to work in Vista. For this reason, AVG Anti-Spyware should also work in some form on Vista. I guess there happens an incompatibility somewhere which causes AVG AntiSpyware to be incompatible with Vista.

In either case, Vista compatible versions should be released soon, so it isn't really a big problem. :)

10. Biscuit

I just got a release date of April for AVG AS & Vista compatibility.

That's 5 months from Vista RTM.

Are AVG going to compensate users who cannot use their software?

11. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I doubt it, you can always ask, doesn't hurt but I doubt you'll get anywhere with that.
    Think about how many programmers of security software would have to compensate users because of a new operating system.
    There are a few programs I would like to use with Vista too, guess we'll all have to wait for now.

12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Well, I find in any case that the support for Vista comes way too late from many companies, including AVG. And the RTM is already available since November. That's what I call neglect...

13. Firecat

I really wonder why its taking so long when the Ewido technology is fully functional in Vista under AVG Anti-Malware.....

14. Edwin024

Maybe the soft dead of a once great product?

15. Biscuit

I do agree that as Ewido, Anti-spyware was a #1 priority. Under AVG it seems to get looked at as an after-thought after the trash has been emptied.

As a reseller, sometimes I get a sales call from AVG. They are always surprised that I just buy their spyware product & not anti-virus. Or is that "used" to buy. I'm just waiting for my next call from them.... :mad:

16. Firecat

That doesn't make sense. It would not be economically degrading to sell a separate Anti-Spyware product, so I don't see why AVG is not giving priority to this product....

17. Edwin024

Maybe AVG sees it as a Anti Malware world. It's weird that no one at AVG responds to these kind of postings. I mean when we speak about the absurdness of this all.

18. Biscuit

I don't know their sales figures, but I can only assume that AVG AV substantially outsells AVG AS. Maybe AVG only bought Ewido so that they could integrate the technology into a complete anti-malware package?

19. Firecat

Even if AVG AV does outsell the AntiSpyware, it still does not make sense to discontinue support for a separate AS product, because by selling a separate AS, they can make use of that market where people have an AV but do not have spyware protection....

Maybe Grisoft's primary focus is to get AVG Free users to upgrade to paid versions, and it is far more profitable for Grisoft to make these users upgrade to AVG Anti-Malware or AVG IS than AVG Anti-Spyware. Given the price differences between the licenses of AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Malware, it is very probable that Grisoft is headed in this direction.

20. Biscuit

You have a very good point.

By selling a discrete AS product, AVG has a marketing opportunity to sell into customers that are using many other AV products. They would then have the marketing opportunity to encourage their AVG AS users to "upgrade" to a full AV/AS suite. Dropping or making AS a very low priority doesn't seem to make any sense from a marketing point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.