Vista and XP with DDS10/2160 - how I did it

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mtrump, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtrump

mtrump Registered Member

I just bought DDS10/2160 today. After some struggle, I finally gotten my system to dual boot between XP and Vista with the two completely isolated; XP cannot see Vista and vise versa.

What I have:
    - ASUS M2NPV-VM with AMD Athlon64 x2 4200+
    - One 40GB PATA hard drive, with XP Pro installed
    - One 250GB SATA hard drive, newly added and completely empty; I want to create a 30 GB partition to install Vista 32bit on it

What I did:
    1. Under XP, Install DDS10 as usual, including OS Selector
    2. Reboot PC, which will bring up the OS Selector boot screen
    3. Put in the Vista CD (I used Vista Enterprise); the OS Selector will have a new icon "Windows" with a CD symbol on it (I'll refer this icon as Windows/CD)in addition to the XP icon already there.
    4. Highlight the Windows/CD icon and edit its Properties
    5. Under Partitions, click on the partition that has XP installed, click Hide
    6. Under Advanced, click on Force hiding partitions
    7. Save everything, shutdown and turn computer back on
    8. System will boot up to the OS Selector screen (don't boot from Vista DVD just yet), click the Windows/CD icon, then click Boot; the system will boot from the Vista DVD (don't forget to press a key!)
    9. Go through the Vista setup, create a 30GB partition on the new disk and install Vista on it; system will reboot after Vista files get copied to hard drive
    10. System reboots to OS Selector, with a new icon Windows Vista; click this Windows Vista icon and edit Properties
    11. Repeat Step #5 to #7.
    12. System will boot up to the OS Manager screen; select Windows Vista icon
    13. Finish up the Vista install; after everything is settled, reboot PC
    14. System reboots to OS Selector; click Windows XP icon and edit Properties
    15. Under Partitions, click on the partition that has Vista installed, click Hide
    16. Under Advanced, click on Force hiding partitions
    17. Save everything, shutdown and turn computer back on
    18. Verify everything - booting into XP and Vista using OS Selector, open Windows Explorer making sure XP doesn't see Vista and vise versa
    19. Done!

My next task would be to split another 30GB or 40GB partition from the hard drive and put Vista 64bit on it (that's something for next week.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.