vista and xp dual boot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ashishtx, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

i have windows vista business installed and now i want to have xp to co exist with vista. Which is the best possible way?

2. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I ran a dual boot machine with Windows 98 and Windows XP when XP came out. That way, I could take my time to install software and get everything running right before changing over completely to XP.

I used Partition Magic for partitioning and Bootmagic (comes with Partition Magic) as the boot manager. Just followed their instructions and it was easy. I plan on doing this when I get Vista too.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Very easy. Just install XP, create the partitions while installing XP, when that's done then just install Vista on the second partition. Vista will install it's own boot manager that will ask you which you wish to boot into when you start your computer. The nice thing about Vista is that it will change the order of the partitions so that both XP and Vista see themselves on the C: drive. It makes a lot of things a lot easier.

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

A few flies in the ointment.

If drive imaging Vista, the partition that XP is on also gets imaged whether you like it or not. This is with Ultimate's built in image software.

Vista's System Restore points get wiped out on every boot up in a dual boot environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.