vista and external hard drive problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chris12923, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I have external maxtor usb drive. Previously I have been able to use it in vista fine. I reinstalled vista from my acer recovery disc :( and now I can not see my maxtor anymore. I installed Ubuntu which I am typing on now and can see my drive fine though. Any ideas how to see my drive again in vista?

Thanks,

Chris

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Chris, this shouldn't really apply in this case but I've got an external that doesn't initially show up under my UBCD environment. What I have to do is to right-click on My Computer, select Manage and then Disk Management. The drives are then shown but, in my case, the external hadn't been assigned a letter. Once I did that manually it was ok. Vista really shouldn't have this problem though so it may not help.

I can't remember if this is the same sequence under Vista. I've just converted my one Vista setup back to XP :eek: .

Graham

3. Chris12923

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I can hear the sound when I plug it ad unplug it in so maybe this will work. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Chris

4. Chris12923

OK I can see it in Vista's disk management utility and all it says is healthy EISA configuration. I looked that up but don't really know what it means. I can't right click on it at all besides just seing help and no other options. So my next question is how to get the info off there and onto a partition on one of my other drives. I have linux cd but am not to familiar with it so any links of how to do this or instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

What about BartPE or UBCD? Can you access it from one of those environments?

Graham

6. Chris12923

If my next attempt does not work I will make a bart pe disc and see what happens.

Thanks,

Chris

7. Chris12923

Well heres what I did. I should have thought of this sooner. Since ATI boot disc is linux based I used it to backup the drive. I then clicked add new drive in TI and formated it. Booted back into windows and I could see the drive so I restored the backup to it. I wish I coulda thought of it sooner though. What a lifesaver.

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.