vista/acronis unmovable files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by savagcl, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

System = Vista 32/64 bit SP1

I have a need to move the unmovable files on the C drive. Presently these files set righ in the middle of my hard drive and prevent me from
    making the C partition larger (or smaller) except for the space available
    between the last unmovable to the end of the partition. Not enough
    space there.

Need to move them closer to the end of the programs/data files (freeing
    up more space toward the end of the partition......

Dont know why these unmovable files keep growing larger and dont know
    which program is causing it.

Any help?
    thanks,
    savagcl

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You could backup the drive, repartition however you like (reformat if you have to to be able to size the partitions as you like). Then restore the system partion in the backup to the hdisk parititon of your choice.

Test the resotre procedure right up to the last "proceed" step to be sure the resotre can work before you reformat or change the paritions on the original drive.

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

savagecl:

The unmovable files that you are referring to are probably Vista's Restore Points and Shadow Copy files. They grow as more restore points are created. If you haven't changed the default they will occupy up to 15% of the partition.

You could go to Control Panel > Backup and Restore Center > Create a Restore Point or Change Settings and temporarily turn off System Restore on your Windows partition. This will delete all restore points. You should then be able to defragment. When you are finished changing partition size, don't forget to turn System Restore back on.

shieber's method will essentially accomplish the same thing since the restore points will be deleted when you do a TI restore, and TI does a nice job of defragmenting when restoring a partition.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Unmovable files in Windows XP are in fact the page files. By reconfiguring the computer's virtual memory storage location to another partition or better to another internal hard drive you will find that the unmovable files will no longer appear on the C partition.

I don't think that Vista is that different in this respect but I do not use it myself so cannot say for certain.

Xpilot

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello savagcl,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

If the issue still persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat describe it and attach screen shots of these files (if possible).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.