Vista 64bit compatible software?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mem

Mem Registered Member

32 and 64 bit IE are included for compatibility - many plugins are not available for x64, such as flash and silverlight. Java just came out for x64 this month - Java 6 update 12.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Cool thanx for that, so I take it all the popular 32bit browsers work fine in Vista 64.

3. tradetime

Thanx Mem, taking a bit of getting used to ;)

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, to my knowledge they all work fine.....

5. tradetime

Thanx,good to know.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw just to note anything that needs drivers for example, av,firewalls,imaging software and anything that needs driver needs to have 64bit drivers. so check all those on there websites.

7. tradetime

Ok you got me here, let's say I download Avast, that's supposed to work on 64, so desn't it have the drivers it needs?

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, Avast works fine on x64 and is made for it. Actually, x32 products such as Norton 360 or McAfee work fine on Vista x64 also. Almost all of them do. Vista x64 can run x32 and x64 apps. Some apps are x64 and may need specific x64 drivers. And of course things like your video will need the x64 drivers.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Tradetime,
    yes avast has and uses 64bit drivers.

10. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Regarding the huge space that Vista takes delete all your restore points. Do a disk cleanup and disable the Volume shadow copy service in services.msc. There's also a huge folder of usually 6GB+ called WinSxS in the Windows folder which I think is pretty useless as I haven't found the need for it and haven't run into any errors after clearing it. You can use WinsxsLite to clear that folder.
    The latest version can be found here if needed.
    http://rapidshare.com/users/6HHIJB

Cheers.

11. tradetime

Hmn, think I have a steep learning curve ahead, so just to clarify, if I download Avast, it just works on 64, I don't need to go looking for any special drivers, cause I'm getting a little confused here, mind that's nothing new ;)

12. tradetime

Right so it's comes with it's own 64bit drivers? If so then you were referring to programs that don't have their own drivers?
    and if that's the case how do you know you need to go looking for drivers? :doubt:

13. tradetime

Now that sounds a bit scary yashau, have turned off system restore as I use FD-ISR done disk cleanup, that was easy as it's a new machine. Volume shadow copy I require surely, is that not what FD-ISR and imaging programs use?
    What's in that folder?

14. tradetime

A quick search on Winsxs suggests at first glance as much as I'd like the space, it's not a folder I wanna go deleting, in a hurry.

15. yashau

yashau Registered Member

I don't know if Volume Shadow Copy is required by FD-ISR or not but I have it turned off and Rollback-RX / Acronis True Image works fine.

Yeah if you don't want to clean the WinSxS it's not a problem. Up to you. Also there's a hibernation file created with the same size as your RAM (Mine is 4GB and hence is the file as well). Do a disk cleanup, tick the box next to hibernation to delete the file. Then type in cmd "powercfg -H off" to disable it from being recreated.

Cheers.

16. tradetime

Thanx mate, all helpful info, though I'll keep the WinSxS folder for now. What's the "hibernation file" for? Sounds like a really dumb question I know, but I've learned around computers not to assume :) Sounds like if you don't use hibernation feature it wouldn't be needed?

Don't have a hibernation file in disk cleanup.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, just download and install, and you're good to go.... You don't ever need to go hunting for any drivers except for perhaps your network interface, or your graphics card or sound card, things like that. And odds are, they're already installed and fine on a new PC. This is if you ever reformat or reinstall the OS. Any app you install will have whatever drivers it needs, either x32 or x64.

18. tradetime

Ok thanx, graphics cards seem to be working ok although I prolly won't know for sure until after the weekend when I get all the monitors hooked up, though the first one is fine, network wise I haven't connected to it yet as I'm waiting for imaging software coming this weekend, as I want to have a clean image first before I start installing all my software and connect to the net. Sound is fine also.

19. tradetime

Yes FD-ISR uses VSS by default, although there used to be an option to switch to RSS. That was supposed to be removed though in the most recent build I think. Shadow Protect uses VSS I believ. I think Paragon can cope without it.

20. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Strange o_O

Well anyway if it's not there don't worry about it :)

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Tradetime,
    If a program doesnt come with 64bit drivers it wont work on 64bit operating system. You will have to contact the creater/company of the program to find out when a 64bit version is avalible. some applications such as kaspersky av has 64bit drivers but a 32bit program interface which is fine.
    If you make a list of the programs you use I can check for 64bit compatibility for you.

22. suliman

suliman Registered Member

FYI The Winsxs folder doesnt actually occupy all that space. So no need to worry about that folder.
    Those files in there are just "hard links" to the real files but windows counts the files twice. It is probably not a good idea to use unknown software from sources like rapidshare, as suggested above, to remove the hard links.

23. tradetime

Hi Lodore,
    Am a bit unsure of what popular programs I will run as the main security programs I use, Returnil, and Sandboxie will not run on 64bit. AV wise I intend to run Avast! which I believe is 64bit compatible, confirmed by the good folks here. Firewall, I will likely just run windows own as I do with one of my XP boxes. Browsing, Opera / Firefox. Backup, Paragon Drive backup Pro, and FD-ISR (the latter I have already installed and appears to work fine :) ) Apart from that the only other certain program is called eSignal which I have been assured runs on 64bit.
    Currently on XP apart from the above I also run VLC Player, Ccleaner, Karen's Replicator, PKware Zip Reader, Foxit PDF Reader, and Revo Uninstaller. Also have Belkin and Plexus UPS which uses UPSilon 2000 monitoring software, says it is Vista compliant but doesn't mention 64bit

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello tradetime,
    for paragon drivebackup you will need the 64bit version. only version 9 has 64bit version.
    if you brought the boxed version it should be on the cd.
    should be called "Paragon-111-PRE_WinInstallx64_9.0.9.6941_001.msi"
    you should also have Paragon-111-PRE_WinPERCD_9.0.9.6941_000.exe" that is the program that burns the recovery disc to cd or dvd.
    ccleaner works fine,karen's replicator works fine(i use it myself). not sure about the others.

25. tradetime

Hi Lodore, thanx for that, very helpful. With regards to Paragon, yes it is 9.0 Pro boxed, should be here Monday, Does that program need to be installed or can everything be done from a live cd/dvd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.