Vista 64

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gobbledog, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gobbledog

gobbledog Registered Member

Currently using AVG 8 with XP sp3 and zero problems. Will AVG work ok with Vista 64 Home premium?

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

it's listed to work fine with it, though I had problems with my setup. Try it out, you might have great luck with it.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Keep in mind. tho AVG may cause some Sluggishness. Vista is your worst enemy when it comes to that ;) so don't take it out on your AV if it lags its most likely vista it self. :cautious:

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

What a nonsense, dear Fajo. Vista runs here on our systems, no problem at all. 32 bit or 64 bit. You just have to have a modern system. If you don't have that well than you can maybe say what you say. But that's not Vista's fault.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Some people tend to blame other things for their faults. There is nothing wrong with Vista itself as well as XP. One simply need to find the reason for the problem XYZ and try to resolve it.This is valid for Fajo , too :)

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ROFL It was a joke for one. 3 of my computers are what you would call modern. but I don use them for SURFING the web. There built for gaming and gaming alone and I'm sorry vista Sucks when it comes to gaming my FPS on all system's with vista dropped any ware from 30 FPS to 150FPS depending on the game. so now you can just sit down shut up and mind your own. ;)

No Problems other then it Likes to suck resources and for some reason my FPS also tho even with the help threads out there its just the way the OS is when it comes to SOME older games it just don't handle them nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As a matter of fact AVG on Vista64 with multi core works great, was the preference of my son for his gaming rig, he was into FPS until he bought his last PC (sort of electronic heater with a PC build in).

Now he is more concerned on Ping time (although he has a 4MB Broadband connection), AVG's mult threading optimization does work on multi cores. He tested Bitdefender, was the fastest on Vista64. He will buy it when his PRSC 64 lisence ends.

AVG a $%^& on an old Athlon 3900, fast on a overclocked dual core

8. entropism

As I said before, I had a horrible time with AVG on my machine. And this is with a core2duo, OCed to 3.6ghz, 8GB of ram, not eactly a weak machine in the slightest. It just slowed the system down considerably.

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Sounds more like the PEBKAC than a Vista issue. :doubt:

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Its a Direct X issue 90% of games where not MADE to run on 10, and with the complete rewrite of 10 most games don't play well with it. :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

That is just unbelievable :eek:

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I would not say unbelievable. it all depends on his set up and what he is running. that's what most people don't understand. Is it may run fine on one and not on another because people use them for different reasons.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Even so, i could never imagine myself in that slowness situation (with such hardware configuration).

I tried every AV you can think of. Only gdata v.2006 (kav+bitdefender engines) gave me serious problems of system performance on my old rig (understandable on a P4 2ghz with only 256mb ram).

14. entropism

That's why i said, it didn't work for me, but it might work for him. Hell, kaspersky was HORRIBLE on my system. It didn't slow down programs, but the web guard in Kaspersky 7 and 8 slowed certain sites to a crawl. Literally, it would take 2-3 minutes for Anandtech's forums to load, amongst other sites.

The only AV I've been completely satisfied with has been Avira, and it's a shame, because I REALLY wanted to like AVG (and had a free year's subscription for it too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.