Vista 64 SP1

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

We have just tested ISR with Vista 32/64 and the latest SP1. So far, Vista 32 has no issues and is working very well.

Although the ISR technology is not officially supported by Vista 64, one is able to make static snapshots/archives by booting a Windows 2000, XP, or Vista 32 snapshot to make the copy. This was the case with the early SP1.

The RTM Vista 64 SP1 is not as forgiving. It has changed a few aspects of NTFS file security thus the above method will not work. Again, this is only for Vista 64 SP1.

In my very loaded Engineering queue is the eventual full compatibility with Vista 64. I am curious as to how many folks are using Vista 64? If this is large number, I will raise the priority of this task. Although, raising the priority does not mean it will be out next week, but it does quicken the delivery.

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Somewhat relevant question here - are there any plans to test/implement functionality with windows server 2008 (for the server version)?

Thanks,
    Chrome

3. Leapfrog Software

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

:D Relative timeframe? I will be ready to upgrade to 2008 when you're ready to release the update:thumb:

What was all that talk of "fdisr is obseleted" or "fdisr is finished"? Nonsense! Vista & server 2008 compatibility will extend it's life (and revenue potential) for years to come.

Next up: fdisr for bsd ;-)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have a question which is this:o_O

By any possible chance, could there be a new build of FDISR which wont take up such HUGE space when creating a snapshot o_O the reasoning for this question is that allthough I have ample drive space (500GB) I would use FDISR only for the fact I have several games on my PC, 5 in total which when installed with updates along with my other software etc occupy a total of 100GB +. As FDISR (presently) creates a carbon copy of the drive with its snapshots, a Secondary snapshot,and primary copy snapshot would inevitably devour 300GB of my 500 :doubt: whilst the Competitor (i.e) Rollback Rx takes little of this amount in such 2.3.4 or even 6GB, of whatever the game in question may be in size thus reducing the required space dramatically. Also how about the ability to nip back and forth like Rollback does :cautious:

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Aren't you happy with Rollback? FD-ISR does not work at the sector level, nor does it make point-in-time snapshots. Two different technologies for two different usage patterns.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I agree with lucas. I too play games and have many games. I install only windows in C: and the games in another drive or partition. That way I can configure windows for gaming only and the snapshots are minimum size. I have 4 snapshots (2 XP and 2 Vista) and it only takes 27+ GB on C drive. For the flexibility FDISR gives the space issue is a non issue imo.

@Leapfrog: This is probably a stupid question, but I assume that you are talking about the FDISR version that is provided by HDS? or if you implement support for 64bit, does that mean there will be an update to the original FDISR?
    If so, one more obstacle for migrating to 64bit would be removed for me.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I personally would prefer the reliability of FirstDefense over that of Rollback ... yes even despite the fact that FD is so slow (not!). :cool:

Acadia

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Todd,

I am interested in this update. (I'm going to buy a vista 64x next week and this update can be very usufull.)

@DVD+R
    Why don't you use the Data Anchoring feature for the games?

@Sukarof
    The engine of HDS FD-ISR Rescue and the original FD-ISR is the same. I guess that the update will benifite both versions. ;)

Panagiotis

10. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Oh, what good news! I'm running Vista Business x64, and will definitely be interested in this update.

BTW, SP1 failed to install on my Vista (after downloading and rebooting 3 times, too).
    Could this be because I installed Vista in an FDISR image (dual boot with XP)?
    Maybe I should move Vista to one of my other hard drives.

11. Leapfrog Software

Greetings ahriman,

The install of Vista SP1 would be effected by your XP install. When a snapshot is not the currently booted OS (XP in this case), they are simply files within the NTFS file system. I suspect SP1 may not install for other reasons.

12. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Leapfrog,
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll install Vista on another drive and see what happens.
    I'm really pleased you're working on a Vista x64 update!

13. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

You can add me to the list of those anxiously awaiting
    a FirstDefense Vista x64 SP1 release am very pleased
    to see development on this product continue.

Wake

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I did a test and installed Vista 64.
    I formatted my C drive and installed Vista 64 and FDISR in it. Then I imported Vista32 SP1 archive and booted into that. I tried to make a archive of Vista64 from Vista32, but after a couple of seconds I got a message from FDISR saying: "The Copy Engine unexpectedly terminated"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.