Vista 64 and NOD32 Problems...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Schwartz, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwartz

Schwartz Registered Member

I have 2 different Vista 64 boxes, one is a Ultimate and one is a Home Premium. I clean installed Vista on both boxes, setup all the devices and made sure everything was running well and then installed NOD32.

Everything seemed fine for a time then box 1 started having a problem with opening web pages in Firefox and 32bit IE. 64bit IE worked fine and I could ping and do nslookups from the command prompt just fine. I was pretty baffled by this problem and found no help in any forums I frequent. I ended up formatting the box and starting over and it has been running fine ever since. A little later I read a post somewhere of someone else with NOD32 having the same problem and tucked that away in the back of my head. I had never even considered that NOD32 could have been the problem.

Fast forward to now and box 2 started having the same problem. 32bit IE and Firefox could not pull up pages but 64bit IE could. Remembering what happened before I uninstalled NOD32 and everything started working fine. Also on this PC I had been having performance problems with Supreme Commander. I attributed this to this PC being a little older than the other but after uninstalling NOD32 due to the other problem the game now runs great with NOD32 gone.

I have been using NOD32 for years in XP and have never had a performance issue with it. Now I run into this and am not sure what to think. I do know my box runs like it should when I get rid of NOD32. Both boxes are Athlon 64 boxes. One is a 3000+ with 2GB of RAM and SATA drives and the other is a A64 X2 4800+ with 4GB of RAM and SATA drives. With what happened with Surpreme Commander I am beginning to wonder if NOD32 is causing some sort of major performance degradation with Vista 64 and I just don't notice it as much on the X2 box.

So that is my story. I don't really know what to do other than to uninstall NOD32. I am not willing to live with these problems just to have NOD32 installed. Does anyone have any ideas or know of this issue with NOD32 and Vista 64?

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I find it pretty strange that Eset speaks of 64bit support and then put everyting in 32 bit versions in NOD32... No 64 bit piece to be found, alas...

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

AMON and IMON are actually 64-bit drivers, it's been said several times that the scanning core itself is written in assembler. One day when there will be only 64-bit systems and backwards compatibility won't be needed NOD32 will also be a genuine 64-bit program.

4. Schwartz

So I got around to openeing a ticket with ESET and they say the following...

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

~Snip~ Private email not allowed without permission from sender. - Ron

I then replied with:

STEP 1 - Download, run, select "FINISH"
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.exe

Why would I be downloading something from a 3rd party site to make NOD32 work? Before I do this, what is it, what does it do, and why do you want me to do it?

Then they said:

~Snip~

Is this really a valid thing to do to Vista 64? I can't find anything stating that this works with Vista. My boxes are working fine now and I don't want to try this and hork my box.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  5. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Just repairs broken winsock entries, similar to a program "winsockfix" if you've heard of it. Generally, for the layman: It repairs Internet connectivity. Often associated with problems getting to websites, but being able to ping out fine.

6. Schwartz

I get what it does, I am just wondering if this is a valid thing to do to this version of Windows being it is new and a 64 bit OS. I always thought Vista was a major difference from previous versions and not like going from XP to Media Center. I haven't seen where running this in Vista 64 is an ok thing to do other than eset telling me to.

7. Schwartz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.