Visnetic Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hellie, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellie

hellie Registered Member

2. richter

richter Registered Member

It's just licensed version of 8signs firewall - www.8signs.com. IMO, it's one of the best rules based firewalls. Conseal was the first firewall I used, which was written by the same author before it was bought out by McAfee. If you don't care about leak tests and want to configure something without bothering all popups, it's great. Not too hard to configure (comes with wizard), and it does it job decently. It's not application based aka ZoneAlarm. There are free ones like CHX-I available as well. It's matter of preference.

3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Hello Helen
    I´ve used it before, and can strongly recommend it since it´s a software based on SPI. There is also CHX as richter mentioned and GhostWall from Ghost Security.

Regards, C.

4. hellie

hellie Registered Member

They have just sent me a years free Educational License. I have set it up to make its own rules. However they term it. I have had no pop up is this normal??

Helen

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

It doesn't have application control, so you won't get any popups. Instead, you need to make your own rules in the firewall to allow incoming connections for things like p2p, ssh, vpn, etc. Otherwise, the SPI will keep you protected. Also, if it is 8-signs, you can setup things like tarpits which are quite amusing at times and helps slow down some evil on the internet.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. hellie

hellie Registered Member

Is 8 signs the same as Vistnetic firewall. Can I use the same license key??

Also if your a Charity or Not For Profit Vountary organisation (I am setting one up for NHS patients in for NHS UK)www.deerfield.com will give you a years free trial license on their products.

As well as a free years license on the Vistnetic Firewall. They have given me a years license on their Dynamic DNS.

I have Priority support too. They are very responsive I am really extremely impressed.

I have now ditched the Netveda Firewall, this is an excellent replacement.

Deerfield also know how to treat their custmoers, brilliant. WW.PREVX.COM are also excellent they have given us a free license too.

It is really helpful when you spending your own money to set up a Voluntary-Not For Profit Organisation especially as there is no way we put any reseller adverts on the website as it is completely legitmate website to help NHS patients. Reseller adverts just would not look good at all. Thats a complete no go.

For AV I have a 3 year multi license with NOD 32 you can't bet them. I have tried Symatec, Norton, PC-CILLIN and Kaspersky in the past but NOD 32 are best in my opinon.

Just thought anyone else who is setting up a Charity Not For Profit Voulntary website based Organisation may find this info useful.

Helen:)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The two are more or less identical, although I rather doubt you can use a key from one in the other. But you could try and see what happens..

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

It is great indeed and has been my favourite for quite some time now, but its most recent version - 2.30 - is over a year old. Is it still being developed?

http://www.8signs.com/

http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic-firewall/

9. apm

apm Registered Member

For rule based firewall for home I recommand WIPFW, it's free, light and has dynamic filter too. visnetic/8signs does have some features like port scan detection & http/server protection, ban list, mac filter, but i think the rules not so flexible as WIPFW like tcp flags.

10. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That looks very promising but I wouldn't dream of swapping a mature product - 8Signs Firewall's predecessor was the famous Conseal Firewall - for a 0.2.8 version.

Incidentally, I contacted Visnetic's support yesterday (had a problem configuring the firewall with BitTorrent) and received an adequate response within minutes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.