visiting ftp iz safe???????

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by AXIS, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

hi
    i somtimes visit ftp sites 4 game updtes..iz it safe 2 visit ito_O
    how to make a ftp
    regards
    AXIS

nice to have the tag :D "regular poster" :D

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Downloading from any site can be a risk. FTP or P2P, HTTP downloads, everything can be a risk. It all depends on the owner of the site.

If you use ftp from the game developers site, downloads should be safe, but you have to use current anti malware to be sure. Any illegal site is not to be trusted. Of course.

FTP is two things:
    it's a communication protocol
    it's software that makes file transfer possible, using the ftp protocol.
    Most browsers know how to handle ftp traffic, or you can use an ftp client (ws-ftp, cuteftp, or the firefox fire ftp extension).

You can make your own ftp server, to serve files to others, using ftp server software. ipswitch offers some, just like other company's.

3. squash

squash Registered Member

If I download a piece of software, and presented with the option of downloading from a HTTP or FTP server. I would definitely choose the HTTP one.

This is why I choose HTTP over FTP (it may be wrong):

FTP Cons
    *More of a security risk, as far as I know, it has more flaws that can be taken advantage of
    *Is eye-candy to an attacker as it is an commonly attacked protocol
    *Slower and less reliable then HTTP on dial-up connection. This is due to FTP being having a extremely high latency, which makes it slower to initiate the download from the request to the actual initalization of a file

HTTP cons
    None that I know of...

Unless there is no other option, it is best to go with HTTP. But thats just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.