visiting dangerous sites

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by a 1, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a 1

a 1 Registered Member

i want to visit sites which are definitely dangerous
    what security software should i use to make my computer as safe as possible,the only catch is, that i'm looking for very easy to use programs.
    apart from a firewall,antivirus and antispyware, i think there is also a need for a 'sandbox' type program or a hips program. Is sandboxie secure enough for me to visit dangerous sites? can it be configured to be secure enough? do you recommend another 'sandbox' type program?
    basically i want to undo ALL changes which occur while surfing dangerous sites via my browser
    also should i use opera or firefox or another? or should i use a portable browser since a portable one won't make any registry changes?
    should i use a hips program to prevent my browser from making any registry changes?
    do you recommend any program which can perform a complete rollback,and which program would you recommend?
    my computer knowledge is limited,quite limited....the best advice you might give me is to not visit dangerous sites,but since i want to , can you recommend a few programs which might make my pc a little more safe?
    ty.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm sure that others will jump in with software recommendations, browser suggestions, etc. Securing Windows is more than just plugging in security apps. The best suggestion I have would be to use a LiveCD. The entire OS is on the CD and can't be altered. Whatever you do, DO NOT use Internet Explorer to visit dangerous sites.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Have a good relaible image solution is the easiest (unles you have Rollback RX or FDISR) and fastest way. Why not try to visit those sites as a restricted user and see what (and if something) happens. My theory is that you´re pretty safe. If you add Software restriction policies to that would make the icing on the cake :)
    If you dont dare, pm me some bad sites and I´ll do it. There is an old thread about bad sites here somewhere that I surfed to but nothing happened. I cant believe there are no sites that can break a simple security solution like restricted account protection. Or is there? if so, pm me the url, I want to test it.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

a 1, first, welcome to Wilders!
    If it's true that you have limited knowledge, although you seem to know software terminology quite well, the analogy I'll use is: you are asking to be given the keys to a racing automobile, never having taken driving lessons or driven before, to compete in the biggest championship race in the world. Just because you want to, enthusiasm alone does not mean you'll be successful.

Wilders is full of informative posts that will give you the answers you're looking for, in regards to software programs that can protect your PC. However, even the easier ones have learning curves and will take some time before they are mastered, yet in the spirit of cooperation, I'll suggest you use the Firefox 3 browser, with the AdBlock Plus and NoScript add-ons, before you venture into the dark side of the force.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I don't know what you define as dangerous but:

1) Use Firefox, preferably with Noscript.
    2) Don't donwload stuff from these sites.
    3) You don't need anything else.

Mrk

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I recommend installing Returnil. It is simple to use and while the protection is active any changes made to your system partition will be lost upon reboot. Just be sure to activate the system protection before surfing in rough waters.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sandboxie itself would be enough, if you are particularly paranoid then maybe add returnil.
    Otherwise you could do what i do and run a virtual machine to check out dodgy websites. This keeps everything isolated from your real system and when you're done you can erase all changes made to the virtual machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.