VirusTotal question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by subssubs, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subssubs

subssubs Registered Member

Hi, I have been using regularly VirusTotal and I think it's a great service, thanks to Hispasec Sistemas that runs it.
    My question is, I have noticed that at least some of the Antivirus versions used (eg, Nod32 and Kaspersky) are not very recent, could this in some way weaken the results?
    Thanks for your help

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i dont think so as long they use same signaturefor every version

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No because the vendors decide which version to be used on VT and if vendors agree there is no problem . As long as the signatures are updated , they are ok with these engines

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

How do you know? VT has always used the most current version though there were times when they were a couple of hours behind, but that's not a big deal. We contacted them and they rectified it within a couple of minutes.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe the OP is talking about the program/engine version. For example if I remember correctly then VT uses KAV 4.x version. :)

6. subssubs

Yes, that is what I meant :)

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't you read other forums ? Once there was an explanation on Kaspersky forums (I don't remember where and why exactly) but do remember when their people mentioned that although the engine version of Kaspersky is 4.x , it can detect as much as KAV 5 and KAV6 because the signatures are the same . Perhaps , Kaspersky will put KAV7 on VirusTotal but AFAIK it is up to the vendor to decide which version to be used there

NOD32 is version 2.x but because all 2.x versions are updated with all archive support/advanced heuristics/signatures then the first v2 and v 2.5 can detect as much as 2.7 on VT (no anti-stealth technology is required there) :thumb:

8. subssubs

In fact, no. :) Wilders is a fantastic place for me, mostly because here are people way more knowleageable and informed that I ever could be.
    A good time to thank all for the info and support :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also always wondered about this, nice to know that it doesn´t really matter which engine they are using, but I wonder why vendors do not just give the latest/newest engine to services like VirusTotal? Is there any reason for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.